Questions on Bp/Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fabitolindo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a recreational diver, but I plan to go technical in two years or so. I read that wings are as good to recreational diving as they are to technical diving, but I have some questions:

-How expensive is one combo? (the Halcyon 36# with the steel Back Plate, or the Dive rite with the dual rec wings)
-How heavy are they? Are they easy to travel with?
-Can you easely float in the upright position?
-How cheap is its mainteinance?

Well,
I think that´s it...

Fabito

Greetings,

First of all, you don't need dual wings. That's a gimmick thing to compensate for poor weighting or wrong tank/suit configuration. A single wing is all you need. You'll want two wings -- one for a single and one for doubles.

The SS plate is about 6lbs. I haven't weighed the whole package.

Yes, you can easily float in a vertical position or lay on your back.

I've replaced my webbing on my Halcyon this winter. I was just slightly wore, but I got bored watching the snow come down. Mine is about four years old. Maintenance is very easy; do it yourself; and cheap. You can find bulk 2" webbing anywhere. Of course, 2" webbing just ain't going to break anyway, so that's a plus. If you get a quality wing like a Halcyon, then maintenance on that is minimal as well. Just standard stuff. Mine has even hiccuped in four years.

I've taken mine to Hawaii easy enough. They are pretty compact.

Good luck,

Mike

Hi,
First of all, thanks for your answers.

Yooper, I heard that it is safer to use dual wings, so if one fails during the dive you still have the other, isn´t that true?

Fabito

If you're following that logic, it's kinda true. However, you don't need them if you're weighted properly and use the right suit/tank configuration. Ideally, you sould be able to swim up from depth by ditching something (not a 28lb weight belt either).

Double wings do nothing more than add drag and more potential failure points. Basically, they are a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom