Questions on becoming a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ty anyways for your suggestion,though i don't appreciate being called an idiot.

You weren't being called an idiot, which you spelled correctly. Muddiver was calling me and 'indiot', assuming he was trying to say idiot, for not thoroughly reading your post.

I suggest the CG thing because I can't tell you how many people I've run into over the years thinking they can't get into the armed services because they made a mistake in their youth.

Thank you for clarifying you position on this.

Well things like periods and commas are followed by spaces generally. And paragraphs are broken with two lines. That'd go a long ways to increasing the readability. Trust me, it's hard to read. It takes too much effort. BTW, you weren't being called an idiot, the person who called another an "indiot" was basically being told "Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

I presume the reason the Coast Guard is stricter is that one their primary duties is intercepting drugs being smuggled into the U.S. I can see why they wouldn't want someone with a drug conviction on their payroll. But it's unfortunate you're in that category.

Yes this is the reason.I haven't been to school in about umm 10 years hehe so forgive me if my grammar or paragraph comprehension is not top form.(i was barely there when i was there if you get my drift)Luckily what i am trying to do does not require paragraph comprehension as far as i know,and if it does nothing a few classes can't fix.Ty all again for the help, i was informed of other paths i can take once i get certified so i will take the padi course then go from there.That will atleast open the door for other things dive wise.

Hehe see 2 lines i learn fast:cool2:If there are any other courses i can venue into getting dive certs links would be appreciated,though checking dive schools in Va Beach that was one of the only one that popped up.

You weren't being called an idiot, which you spelled correctly. Muddiver was calling me and 'indiot', assuming he was trying to say idiot, for not thoroughly reading your post.

I suggest the CG thing because I can't tell you how many people I've run into over the years thinking they can't get into the armed services because they made a mistake in their youth.

Thank you for clarifying you position on this.

I was thinking of getting dive certified then maybe goin to a diff CG recruiter.Maybe that will help me to get waivers,honestly i never even thought to ask about trying to get one.Like i said though the links to other dive jobs has opened me up to new options i didn't know where there, other than the underwater wielding which my friend does.

Join the Coast Guard and try out for rescue swimmers, and keep trying till you make it.

Last I heard, the AST school is closed. Only 230 AST's in the USGC. He'll be a non-rate for a long time waiting for an opening for a slot. And you need a security clearance for a AST, so a descent background is a little more important than other rates.

Last I heard, the AST school is closed. Only 230 AST's in the USGC. He'll be a non-rate for a long time waiting for an opening for a slot. And you need a security clearance for a AST, so a descent background is a little more important than other rates.

Well, if the school is closed, then the school is closed. As for the security clearance I had a TS and not such a perfect background, just more paperwork. It was more about being forthcoming than them finding anything that was a 'surprise'.

Anyway, what does AST stand for?

Ty anyways for your suggestion,though i don't appreciate being called an idiot.Not everybody is a class A typist me obviously being one of them.I really don't see how my post is hard to read or understand sans any mispells.Anyways i know the padi course wouldn't make me rescue diver qualified but it would get me dive qualified which would then open the doors to over venues.My friend went through the padi course then was able to go to school to become an underwater weilder.Also i can get into the army,navy marines easy.The Coast Guard however is alot more strict on past drug charges for some reason.Having a family im not really into goin into the military at 28 and being sent to Iraq just so i can learn how to dive.As far as i know Coast guard are not sent into battle zones.

You do realize that the USCG is the military too?. It falls under Homeland Security instead of DOD, but it is still the military. And they do send the Coasties into "battle zones". Because they are a smaller branch (42,000) they can afford to be more picky.

You do realize that the USCG is the military too?. It falls under Homeland Security instead of DOD, but it is still the military. And they do send the Coasties into "battle zones". Because they are a smaller branch (42,000) they can afford to be more picky.

The Coast Guard sank the U-352 off the coast on NC in WWII!

They aren't armed for show!

Well, if the school is closed, then the school is closed. As for the security clearance I had a TS and not such a perfect background, just more paperwork. It was more about being forthcoming than them finding anything that was a 'surprise'.

Anyway, what does AST stand for?

The USCG calls their rescue swimmers
Aviation Survival Techs. They are also EMT's, seamstress and sometimes they even get to swim.

The Coast Guard sank the U-352 off the coast on NC in WWII!

They aren't armed for show!

They were in Vietnam and are in the sand box right now too.

You mentioned you had a wife. Are you willing to move elsewhere to further your career? Is she ok with that?

Commercial Diving (or underwater welding) would call on you to be away from your family alot, but it could be a good path for you. There is a school in Houston (the whole reason this team is in Houston is Commercial diving school offering underwater diver certifications in ndt, and nde training.) for commercial diving. iirc, there may be schools in Ca and one in NJ.

Did you already apply for the Coast Guard and that is how you know they won't take you?

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom