Questions on becoming a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mentioned you had a wife. Are you willing to move elsewhere to further your career? Is she ok with that?

Commercial Diving (or underwater welding) would call on you to be away from your family alot, but it could be a good path for you. There is a school in Houston (the whole reason this team is in Houston is Commercial diving school offering underwater diver certifications in ndt, and nde training.) for commercial diving. iirc, there may be schools in Ca and one in NJ.

Did you already apply for the Coast Guard and that is how you know they won't take you?

Good luck :)

Ty.Yes i have tried and was turned down due to my past possesion charge,though i never asked about waivers and it was never mentioned.I have been checking into diff diving schools like the one you linked since i posted this earlier today.Would it still be in good interest for me to get my diving cert first?Or would that be taught when i sign up for the class?I figured if i could get some diving certs and some overall diving experience first it would open my options a bit more.

Somebody also mentioned working for a museum stuff like that and i figured if i took a class on underwater photography then got a few degrees in marine science and biology it would increase my chances,though im still looking into rescue diving first.The only diving school in my area i can find is padi,so im prob gonna go through that program first then weigh my options.

So what is an 'indiot'?

One who can't use the tools given to him...i.e. spell check?

No, not allowed to install scubaboard spell check on company computer. And no I am not a trained typest either.

Normal approach: Step 1: Open Water Diver (limitations 60', NDL, always dive with a buddy). Step 2: build expirence (get at least 30 dives in prior to advancing training). Step 3: Advanced Open Water (limitations 130', NDL, dive with buddy) (now would be a good idea to consider Nitrox training). Step 4: try to get at least 20 more dives in (more experience the better). Step 5: take the PADI Rescue Diver + EFR/CPR course (this will be a total cofindense booster, and will be a major milestone in your diving journey)... There is absolutly no need to take CPR outside of PADI, then go and Take im with PADI, only take it once, and be sure to renew it... The Bad Approach (IMO): Step 1: Enroll in a zero-hero course at a place like Halls Carrer Dive Institute.. An option to consider is to attend FL Keys Community College, and get your 2 year degree in Science under Diving Buiesness, and Technology... A person with a degree vs a person w/o one will be hired more easy then someone w/o...

..... Much the same a 2 dive instructors enter a dive shop, one with 500+ logged dives and years experience, the other with 100 dives, and a certificate stating that they went from no expirence to Dive Instructor in 6 weeks time... Who do you think is going to be hired?

..... Much the same a 2 dive instructors enter a dive shop, one with 500+ logged dives and years experience, the other with 100 dives, and a certificate stating that they went from no expirence to Dive Instructor in 6 weeks time... Who do you think is going to be hired?

Ty atomic diver and others who chimed in.I will be enrolling in a padi open water course starting next week,and you pretty much summed up my planned path.I have also contacted the portsmouth police dep and they have openings for the dive team,they also take people with past charges as long as 12 months have past and no further instances have occoured.So it will prob take me that long anyways if not longer to get my dive wings so to speak under me hehe:mooner:I appreciate all the help from those who chimmed in and have a variety of options now if the rescue diver thing doesn't work out.

Surfrat - a little OT but you could consider applying for a pardon. I'm not a lawyer so take this FWIW my understanding is that a pardon in Va does not expunge your criminal record but may go a long way to opening doors in law enforcement and/or public service if that's where your diving path is leading.

Surfrat - a little OT but you could consider applying for a pardon. I'm not a lawyer so take this FWIW my understanding is that a pardon in Va does not expunge your criminal record but may go a long way to opening doors in law enforcement and/or public service if that's where your diving path is leading.

Yes ty.I have signed up for my first diving course which begins next week.I have also contacted local police departments and they tell me i can still apply even with my prior record.Though i will have to ace everything since i will be up against people with no prior record.So ty for the little information i will def look into it.

I have also talked to an Army recruiter and i can get waivers to enter and try out for the dive team.Yes the Army has a dive team lol.Engineer divers also listed under infantry i believe and they teach stuff like underwater welding demolition stuff like that.There is also a special ops dive team but you have to pass Ranger school first.Though as i stated before this would be a last ditch effort if i were to go this route.

Little update.I think i found a school that does what i am looking for.Aquanauts,has a few programs related to what i would like to get into resue diver wise.I have to complete PADI rescue diver course first.Will keep posted on my progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom