Questions on becoming a Dive Instructor (Plan sanity check)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every PADI shop I know of still teaches knees based on talking to new divers
You mean the IDCs, or the OW classes?
It has got to start with the IDC, and then slowly permeate the OW classes.
Until PADI mandates neutral -- rather than allows or even recommends -- nothing much will change.

You mean the IDCs, or the OW classes?
It has got to start with the IDC, and then slowly permeate the OW classes.
Until PADI mandates neutral -- rather than allows or even recommends -- nothing much will change.

OW.

PADI will never mandate neutral.

Do you realize unless you teach prolifically, you are going to lose money.

If you teach for a shop in the PNW, you are going to be paid peanuts.

If you are going to be an independent instructor, you need to find a niche and have the background for it.

My advice is to defer becoming a dive pro. The industry is a giant ponzi scheme. Save your money and dive for fun.

The CDs in the PNW are ... not great. One got up and moved permanently to Mexico after his school had killed a number of students (around six over ten years or so if my memory serves me).

You don't have the experience to know if you want to do this and also to do it well.

Jeez, and such talented young women:( What a shame!

They yelled at me for doing that during my IDC, they wanted us our knees period. They actually marked me down for demonstrating while neutral in trim.
Funny and sad at the same time.

MODS: I searched for this but it didn't come up in my results, please move/delete if it's been beaten to death.

I've got my sights set on becoming a Dive Instructor by the end of 2024.

blahblahblah snip
Why? Why do you have a burning desire to become an instructor? Why not just be a diver?

Would you want to learn from an instructor who had only been diving 100 times before? I wouldn't. Like others have said you need to log more dives before teaching. Sure you could do it on paper. But without more experience to draw on you'll be a crappy teacher unable to handle questions or situations beyond the very basic.

I've got 50ish logged. I have about 4 years of dives I didn't log, which don't count for numbers, but that doesn't negate the experience of taking the plunge. Again, shame on me for not keeping track, but they still happened. I didn't ask for your opinions on my feelings towards the pursuits in my life, so cut the attitude.
How many dives have you done that aren't logged? Lots of people don't log dives at all, if you actually have done a couple hundred hours underwater but only logged a few that's a different story.

Now, I know nothing about skydiving, but if you wanted to teach something hardcore ASAP it sounds like that would be an easier place to climb the educational ranks quickly given your stated military experience. Consider doing that for a year or two to scratch the teaching itch while you build up your dive count.

I provide here my past experience becoming an instructor, switching to "pro" field, and then giving up.
I started in a club environment, very cheap OW course, then free assistant instructor and instructor course. Instructors were not paid, and I worked in this no-profit environment (CMAS) for 5 years.
Then I switched to "pro" instructor, working in holidays resorts in small Mediterranean islands and at Maldives.
Did this for 5 years, but the responsibility was enormous.
After a couple of potentially deadly accidents occurred to customers under my supervision, I realised that the responsibility was really too much, and I gave up.
So, before starting this path, I suggest that you evaluate what follows:
1) do you want to become a professional instructor, getting your monthly income from this activity, or do you want to teach "just for fun" and personal satisfaction, having already another job?
2) If the second case above is yours, have you evaluated entering a no-profit club, and teaching for free, as it is common with CMAS or BSAC?
3) If instead the first case is yours, and you plan to become a "pro", do you foresee you working for a shop, or creating your own training center - personal endeavour, or working at holidays resorts in warm tropical countries? These are three very different "pro" versions, and I experienced only the third one (which is truly a fantastic life, when you are young)...
4) How do you bear the responsibility for the life of your students/customers? Have you had some previous experience of being responsible for the life of other people? (it appears You had, being a skydiving instructor already)...

Back
Top Bottom