Questions for 1st time to Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gdenny

Reaction score
OK. I've read through what seems like a thousand posts and I have a few questions.

I'm planning a trip to the Grand Cayman for June 23 - July 2. This will leave me 7 full days to dive taking the last day off. My understanding so far is the best diving on GC is the North Wall and the East End. It looks like the recommended DO's are Ocean Frontiers and Tech Divers.

Regarding Tech divers and Cobalt Coast, How far is the ride to the Boat each morning? Do you need to haul your own gear to and from the boat each day if you plan to shore dive in the afternoon? Does CC provide transportation to Turtle reef in the afternoons or are you on your own? Is there enough variety to dive there for 7 days 3X day? I get a little tired of the same UW topography all week, I like variety in the reef structure.

Regarding Ocean Frontiers, Do they really run an AM and PM trip each day allowing for 4 dives a day? Their site says they do, but I have had an experience in Curacao where this was claimed in advance only to find that the PM trip was only run if the AM trips we're booked solid. Their site also mentions a 35 min 1st dive and a 50 min max 2nd dive. Is this accurate? Is the 35 min 1st dive reasonable due to time at depth on a wall dive on GC? If there's not much above 60 that makes sense. Is the 50 min max on the second dive because we have to get back to do 2 more dives in the afternoon? How long does it take to drive to Georgetown for dinner from the east end?

For a first timer, which side would you go to or would you do 4 days one side and 3 on the other?

Are there any 6 pack operations on the East end?

Can I use a 6 pack op and stay near Georgetown and still get to East end and North wall sites or will I be diving South sites?

Wow, a ton of questions. I'll tackle some of the East End related questions adn leave the queries about DiveTech at Cobalt Coast for another poster.

Indeed, East End and the North Wall are usually considered the best diving in Grand Cayman. The Cayman Wall surrounds the entire island, so the first dive of a two tank is usually a wall dive, followed by a shallower (50-60ft max) second dive. Usually the wall dive is planned as a 100ft dive adn the top of the wall varies from 45 to 75ft depending upon site, with most around 60ft. As such, a multilevel profile on the first dive usually gets you pretty close to a computer limit at 35minutes. Second dive is limited by ntrogen limits normally. Overall times selected are a compromise to a bit of conservatism... your computer may read more time, but not eveyone's.

There are no six pack operations on East End. Indeed the only East End based dive centers are Tortuga Divers and Ocean Frontiers. While summer is usually calmer seas, a typically smaller six pack boat would not be very comfortable in the rougher seas that East End can experience at times.

Normally North Wall dives depart from a marina on the North Sound. As most west side dive operators offer pick ups, it is of little consequence exactly where you stay. Just call your chosen operator to confirm before finalizing your hotel booking. Fortunately the recent opening of a new bypass road had significantly improved traffic congestion in the Seven Mile Beach corridor between West Bay and Georgetown. :D

gdenny:
I'm planning a trip to the Grand Cayman for June 23 - July 2. This will leave me 7 full days to dive taking the last day off. My understanding so far is the best diving on GC is the North Wall and the East End. It looks like the recommended DO's are Ocean Frontiers and Tech Divers.
It's actually DiveTech, not Tech Divers.
Regarding Tech divers and Cobalt Coast, How far is the ride to the Boat each morning? Do you need to haul your own gear to and from the boat each day if you plan to shore dive in the afternoon? Does CC provide transportation to Turtle reef in the afternoons or are you on your own? Is there enough variety to dive there for 7 days 3X day? I get a little tired of the same UW topography all week, I like variety in the reef structure.
There's a couple docks they use, none a long ride from CC, maybe 10-15 minutes tops. Occasionally the boat leaves from the hotel though I've never gotten that lucky in several trips there. Once in a while they will pick up someone from one of the condos nearby. They take your gear to the boat in a truck at the same time they are taking you in a van. They bring it back the same way, they don't leave it on the boat, so you will always have your gear with you. At CC the truck and van park right next to the gear lockers. Some people say they have no problem getting rides to Turtle Reef with the shop or someone but it's not a formal thing and that's not my experience. We always just rent a car which is good to have for many reasons. Variety at Turtle Reef or the boat dives they do? I probably wouldn't want to do Turtle Reef every afternoon as I like variety too, but I'm sure some people would be happy to. Going to the left or right are very different, or you could head out some. You can also shore dive from the hotel if conditions are ok, and June should be fine. Just a longer swim. Also can rent a scooter and head out to the wall from either shop, or do their shop to shop scooter dive which is a fun thing to do once.
Regarding Ocean Frontiers, Do they really run an AM and PM trip each day allowing for 4 dives a day? Their site says they do, but I have had an experience in Curacao where this was claimed in advance only to find that the PM trip was only run if the AM trips we're booked solid. Their site also mentions a 35 min 1st dive and a 50 min max 2nd dive. Is this accurate? Is the 35 min 1st dive reasonable due to time at depth on a wall dive on GC? If there's not much above 60 that makes sense. Is the 50 min max on the second dive because we have to get back to do 2 more dives in the afternoon? How long does it take to drive to Georgetown for dinner from the east end?
When I was there in July 04 they always ran the PM trip. I thought the afternoon was one tank but I could be remembering wrong. I don't know about guarantees on the afternoon, ask them. When I was there I didn't reserve the afternoon trips in advance which was a mistake, we couldn't get on most days it was full. They seemed to have no lack of customers. Since shore diving on the East End is not such a practical option for a visitor people want the boats. As far as 35 and 50 minutes limts, that sounds like even less than when we were there. (Unless perhaps that is the table limit not the computer limit, don't know if they are setting them different now? If you don't have a computer I suggest renting or buying one. Divetech actually supplies them so everyone is on computer.) I thought OF limits were too short, I could easily do a much longer multilevel dive on most of the sites especially on Nitrox. Their times are set to keep on a schedule not because you couldn't safely do a longer dive with stuff to see. People called it the "lunch tables." They also insisted in follow the leader for the wall part of the first dive, which I did not like at all. People love them because they offer excellent service, you will never touch your gear etc. and they are a good op in general, but they were a bit too controlling for my taste in general. Much prefered DiveTech in that respect.
For a first timer, which side would you go to or would you do 4 days one side and 3 on the other?
Mixing the east and west end makes for a nice varied vacation. But for 7 dive days, I'm on the fence about taking the time to pack up and move in the middle of the trip, you're most likely going to miss the am boats or some half day of diving on one day unless you can get late checkout, or move early in the morning and get early checkin, or live out of your car for part of move day. On a longer trip I figure it is good to take the break anyway. So I'd probably pick one, whichever location and op you think you would prefer. East end will be all boat diving, it's a longish ride to go shopping or get to many restaurants if you want that, but you're getting away from it all and you've got a beach if you care. Reef is a lovely resort to stay at and hang out, but not as convinient if you are doing the afternoon boats. Compass Point is also nice condos but leans more towards the functional side, it's not a "resort." At CC you have the option of mixing in shore dives, and while it's also a nice quiet area compared to staying in the middle of SMB, it's easy to get to a variety of restaurants and stuff if you have a car.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you both for the wealth of information. It definitely helps with our decisions. Speaking of things that help make a decision... I just got an emial back from the Reef Resort. Check out the rate changes to the Reef Resort for Summer 07.

Summer 06/07 rates
Studio Suite $175/$205
Deluex Studio Suite $195/$230
1 BR Suite $230/$270
2BR Condo $315/$360

The "lunch tables":rofl3: That's pretty funny. I kinda thought that was part of the scheduling. At the same time, If I'm one of the folks that needs time to eat lunch and be back on a PM boat trip, it's not such a big deal to cut a dive a few minutes short. The fact that you can do 4 tanks a day kinda makes up for that and OF does offer an unlimited diving package that looks like an excellent value. Compass Point is looking kinda interesting.

My apologies to DiveTech! And to the poor soul out there searching for Tech Divers...

OMG ... I am comming to Grand Cayman 1/30/07 to 2/06/07 My name is Kim ... florida Conch Diver here :mooner: .... I am advanced ow diver and I love wrecks ... I will stay on the West end and I think http://www.divetech.com/ will get my $$ ... but tell me more about this area ... Do you guys have some good shark adventures?
Kim P :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom