Trip Report East end, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The thrice postponed Grand Cayman trip (COVID-19 closure) finally happened May 27 to June 1. With the exception of a hellish return (36hrs and an overnight diversion to the Bahamas—typically a 1.5 hr flight Georgetown to Miami), the trip was great.

Location, operation, cost:
Stayed at Compass Point and dove with Ocean Frontiers. Highly recommend. Great operation, professional, safe, and friendly. Concierge diving at a very reasonable price. Ocean front condo 200 feet from the boat (included rental car from the airport) for 5 nights, breakfast, 2 tank dive each day, cost $1,100 (plus change) per person. We paid a little extra for nitrox and insurance on the car.

Dives:
Each morning, Ocean Frontiers took us on a deep dive at the wall (up to 100ft) followed by a shallow dive (70ish). They set up your gear and changed it on the SI if you wished. Rinsed it all each night—and had it on the boat for you in the morning. We always walked off with our gear because we did shore dives in the afternoon—twice to Eden Rock/Devil’s Grotto (close to downtown)); once to Lighthouse Point (Westside).

Because of the weather (windy and waves), the boat took us South, North, and two East dives.

What I really appreciated is that they let you dive your dive. A guide would go in, you could follow or not, then after 30 mins or so, the guide would take you back to below the mooring ball, point to the boat overhead, and then the guide would return to the boat. You could explore further, on your own with your Buddy, and return with 500 PSI on the boat. Several of us had 40 to 50 mins on the deep dive and 60 to 68 mins on the shallow. No rush. No 60 min Max. Easy dives compared to what we are used to with the drifts and currents off Palm Beach (Fl). Water still felt cold at 80 F. We wore 3mm.

The sites were beautiful— especially the high coral wall. The drop to the abyss (3,000 ft) was a stunning view. The coral looked health with lots of reef fish.

Creature Highlights:

Venus Girdle
Barred Hamlet (I know, fairly common, but beautiful and now on my list)
Blackbar soldierfish
Belted Cardinalfish
Saddled Blenny (abundant)
Redlip Blenny (lots)
Flamingo tongues (lots)
Nudibranch— black. DM called it a Tricolor. I have a photo…have not identified it yet
Huge Eagle Ray that dropped down in front of us and started shoveling with its snout in the sand

Plus…the usual suspects including huge tarpon, Hawksbill, Loggerheads, Reef Sharks, Jacks, huge mahogany snappers, and a very large Nassau Grouper.

Shore Dives

Don’t skip Eden Rock or Devil’s Grotto. Fun swim throughs, tons of Yellowhead Jawfish, Garden Eels, Tilefish, big tarpon, lots of various snappers, Shallow (deepest 49ft). We spent 77minutes under water when we went without a guide. It reminded me a bit of Blue Heron Bridge (interesting stuff in the rubble) but with swim throughs and big coral heads.

We dove the reef at Lighthouse point to the Guardian of the reef statute and then out to the drop off. We were not impressed, at all. Will definitely skip in the future.

Decided that when we return we will stick to the East end with Ocean Frontiers and thereby catch sites in their dive zone on the North, East, and South. As a bonus, they give you a laminated map of the 55 sites they visit. Dive all 55 of their sites and you get a medallion, green Ocean Frontier shorts, and a celebration on the boat including cake and champagne for the divers who happen to be on the boat with “the champion.”

Great Restaurants on the East end:
Tukka
La Casita

Thanks for the TR - like you I am not impressed by Lighthouse Point as a shore dive. Turtle Reef @ Macabuca is far superior, imo.

I think it's a bitt closer to the wall at Lighthouse than Turtle Reef if that is in your dive plan.

Thanks for posting. Love oceafrontiers and compass point. I usually hit a westside dive like turtle reef on my arrival day and stay out east the rest of the trip.

Dove with Ocean Frontiers twice over the years and glad to hear they are still top- notch. Thanks for the report.

Thnx for the report
what happened on the return flight?

After 2004 and the 165mph winds of Hurricane Ivan just destroyed Grand Cayman, Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers consistently gets really good reviews. Thanks for the great trip report !!

I was living and working for OF in 2004 when Ivan hit. Going through the hurricane was one thing; dealing with the aftermath was a worse.

Working at OF consisted of long days, 07:00 to 18:00 or later if working the night dive.

Is the restaurant at Compass Point open? Sunset House and Don Fosters sit on the same reef as Eden Rock and are good dives also. The swim throughs at ER are nice. What are the condition of the coral?

It's about 20 miles from East End to Eden Rock. I wouldn't bother if I was staying at East End.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom