Questions about the PT-058...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am like many others, If it ain't broke don't fix it. Over greasing o'rings is almost as bad as under greasing them.
I am also an advocate of not servicing your housing. I had two cast housings over 20 years and never touched them apart from occasional greasing of o'rings. No leaks.
My first leak EVER in a housing was this year when a small amount of water drops (bout 3-5) got in. took the port out and greased and reset it - tested it OK and the housing leaked in a different spot.
I have been diving in Lembah and Bali for the last 7 or 8 years and the very fine silt that Chris mentioned built up and caused problems. I took the opportunity to upgrade all my gear to EM5 mk2 so start again with a new housing.

You can refresh desiccant packs in a microwave or let them sit out in AC to dry out. Been using mine over 1 year. Fogging the Oly PT-058 happened when my 1200 lumen video light was too close to lens port, heat difference caused it. Turn off light between shots or move light away. Be careful of position of cap strings and dry packs interfering with o-rings to cause flood. Yes my TG5 survived, thankfully, and the water inside the case cleared the fog from the port so photos were good. Clean all, dry, lube o-ring lightly and LEARN. No problems since. Now I also have a TG6 with SeaFrog housing.

I just saw your thread after posting mine about removing O rings during storage. I always remove the O ring and make sure it has silicone grease prior to every dive, but I have been leaving it on the housing while stored between trips. I am thinking I should remove it when stored as they seem to stretch pretty quickly. I have never used a dessicant pack, and have never had fogging issues in Roatan or Cozumel. Colder water may present some issues, but not on the warm water trips I have done.

Back
Top Bottom