Questions about the PT-058...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually clean the o-ring channel with a blue shop towel or a piece of one (folded to fit the channel). The blue shop towel tends to leave much less fiber (if any) than other towels. I also wear 2.5x reading glasses doing this to inspect the work afterward to insure no dust/dirt/fibers are left in the channel.

I'll do a first cleaning of the o-ring with a blue shop towel, very gently just to remove the old grease. If I'm not reusing the housing right away, I store the o-ring in a clean shop towel. When I do go use the housing, with very clean hands (good old blue shop towel!) I'll very lightly grease the o-ring before reinstalling it.

I always clean my o-ring with just my finger. Anything else can and will deposit or introduce some type of fiber or lint. Using my fingers gives sensitivity and I can feel for any deformations, salt, sand, hair/lint/fiber, etc. Mr. OOO has an Oly housing.

Before opening it, use an air gun and blast away any water, especially by the openings. This is an opportunity to introduce water near or on the o-ring and when that dries, those are salt crystals or moisture in your housing. Not a problem for waterproofing at all for most cameras, but it is moisture which means potential fogging. Any time you open it for battery changes, double check with your fingers for the items mentioned above before sealing. Check how lubed or dry it is and lube accordingly.

I agree with just using fingers to grease o-rings. I too find the tactile feedback essential in knowing whether or not the o-ring is clean or if it needs more work (or replacement). I also find it's pretty easy to get just the right amount of grease using fingers.

I only ever blow on my camera after rinsing. (Puff of air from mouth/lungs). I've seen all kinds of stuff get blown past o-rings and into the works using shop air. A lot would depend on the pressure of the air system.

On another note, do you travel with the housing in carry on or checked baggage? Do you leave it open slightly? Take the
o-ring out? Have issues with pressure if closed?

On another note, do you travel with the housing in carry on or checked baggage? Do you leave it open slightly? Take the
o-ring out? Have issues with pressure if closed?

I would carry the housing. Mr OOO carries on his TG5 housing, though I suppose at my recommendation. He leaves it open and travels with the o-ring removed. Don’t close it in flight with the o-ring in! You’ll have some issues when you return to the tarmac.

I would carry the housing. Mr OOO carries on his TG5 housing, though I suppose at my recommendation. He leaves it open and travels with the o-ring removed. Don’t close it in flight with the o-ring in! You’ll have some issues when you return to the tarmac.
Tg-5 inside?

I carry mine closed with the TG-5 inside in my carry on luggage. Never had a problem. I only clean the oring on the pt058 after a week long dive trip.

I find the Olympus o-ring with Olympus grease can get kind of sticky and it becomes quite difficult to remove things that are sticking to it. If it gets like his I wash the o-ring with hand soap and water and rinse very well, and shake dry and then inspect for lint/sand etc. before re-greasing - you want a very small amount of grease just enough to make the o-ring shiny.

On the topic of air blowing, get one of these: Giotto Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool (Large) they are great for removing excess water when opening for battery change etc. just blast all around the opening for the o-ring to remove water that is stuck in there.

To clean out the groove use foam makeup applicators - keep them sealed in ziplocks to prevent them picking up lint when not in use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom