Questions about Rental Gear in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Folks,

I'm a warm water diver, usually in the Caribbean. I always use my own gear (Sherwood Avid Integrated BC/Sherwood Maximus reg).

However I am doing a solo Mid-Life Crisis (turning 40) backpacking trip to Thailand/Cambodia for the whole month of February/09 and will be diving the Similans as well as Koh Phi Phi and perhaps a few other places as well.

Since I will only be taking my Prescription Mask, Dive Computer and Camera. The questions that I have are in regards to rental gear.

Do most Dive Operators now have Integrated BC's (I'm Size XL) And do any of the operators offer 100 or 120 cu ft tanks (I did mention I'm Size XL). Additionally is the gear well maintained. Specifically the regulators.

Any operator recommendations/advice

Cheers,

Lanshark

Hi Lanshark

Most operators in Thailand don't use weight integrated BCD's because they're expensive and since most BCD's are used for teaching they use Weight Belts. Most common cylinders are 12L alluminium but you might find some schools have larger but i doubt they're being used often and therefore not maintained. Any respectable dive school will have basic work horse regulators that are well maintained. I don't know much about that side of Thailand but working on the east coast with many staff who have worked there i would imagine they operate to similar standards.

Where you would want to invest is in some dive socks or even boots as the closed heel fins can wreck havoc with your feet if you're doing a lot of diving. No offense but if you're a size XL you might find you're using more force to kick then say a small girl.

???
Nearly all boats here will be able to provide 15 liter tanks, well maintained and freqnetly used.

Ok, well there you go, i've only seen the children's tanks around. It wasn't a dig on the west coast, haven't seen them much in Thailand in general.

Yes, these days most boats do have them. A few years ago we bought a couple ourselves as many boats did not have them, so we could use them for our customers on request and sometimes the boats rented them from us.. in fact some still do! Just had a call today asking for one :)

???
Nearly all boats here will be able to provide 15 liter tanks, well maintained and freqnetly used.

If you want I can tell you the last 5 or 10 companies I was diving here and all "had" only 12 L Alu. They may have 15 liter, but I never saw it and often enough I ordered some Nitrox and when I went there they forgot it.....

In Thailand there is everything, from super bad with drunken DM to super perfect good. Often on remote areas you have just 1-2 very basic DC (which may compensate their lack of material with perfect personal service, or not).

If you want I can tell you the last 5 or 10 companies I was diving here and all "had" only 12 L Alu. They may have 15 liter, but I never saw it and often enough I ordered some Nitrox and when I went there they forgot it
Well, looks like you picked the wrong 5 or 10 companies... next time... hey, if someone wants a 15 liter tank they get it. If someone orders Nitrox they get it. Some boats have Nitrox as standard, some you have to order specially, but ask and ye shall receive!

Well, looks like you picked the wrong 5 or 10 companies... next time... hey, if someone wants a 15 liter tank they get it. If someone orders Nitrox they get it. Some boats have Nitrox as standard, some you have to order specially, but ask and ye shall receive!

Well look at Chumphon: 2 DC only that usual Aluminium tanks....no Nitrox at all.
Look at Koh Lipe: 4 companys, only one has 15 liter tanks, no Nitrox at all.
etc etc etc

Of course in Phuket, Koh Tao, Koh Samui, Pattaya you have everywhere everything but the less popular places are different and in my opinion often the more beautifull one. Often the owner is the only instructor and up to him everything is perfect and nice or ugly and rotten.

If you have big feet I would bring my own Fins... many DC's only rent out closed-heel fins... or you could by a pair down there quite cheap,

in general diving equipment, computers etc is very cheap in Thailand, at least that is my experience compared with Phillipines and Egypt (Yes, I mean incl all possible pro/shop discounts...)

I am one of those owners, who is the only instructor. You can get your big tanks, nitrox, big boots and open heel fins here, airport pickups and hotel runs etc. I just see it as a natural thing to do to mark me out as consistent and good. As for other dive centres, what they give is their business, but the competition is so high, you can't exist with low standards.

I dived with mantapoint in Khao Lak ( I dont know if they are affiliated) The guy in the shop was very nice and the equipment brand new, incl. open heels.
Dont think they had a boat at the moment, it was kind of "shareboat" with other DCs, but I got what I was after: Verygood rental equipment!, the rest I can handle myself :)

Back
Top Bottom