Questions about MK25,MK20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmds

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Scubapro MK25 and MK20 are environmentaly sealed? Also, how much does a normal service cost? The LDS told me $140 each, is this normal, sounds a little high.

Thanks
Tom

No they are not enviromentally sealed. Service rates seem to depend on dive shops and wether you purchased the regs with a warranty(free parts) or second hand or online. If purchased with a warranty 140 sounds steep for both the first and second stage. If with no warranty sounds about right for a first and second stage with parts kit for both.

Uh yeah. For $140 at my LDS you could probably service both of them including the parts cost. I would ask if this includes parts and then ask how much the labour cost is. I don't know what a Scubapro first stage kit is worth these days but either way for one single first stage with no second stage, I wouldn't pay anything more than $35 + parts.

tmds:
Does anyone know if the Scubapro MK25 and MK20 are environmentaly sealed? Also, how much does a normal service cost? The LDS told me $140 each, is this normal, sounds a little high.

Thanks
Tom

That sound pretty steep to me! I live in Youngstown (about 75 miles from you). In February Ka Puka Wai in Akron did a Mk20, MK25, 2 S600s, 2 R380s, and the spools on 2 SPG for $150.00. Treasure Cove in Niles, Ohio is about the same... maybe a little less. I would check around at other Sp dealers near you. Even if you have to buy the parts kits, "O" rings aren't that expensive. BTW- the annual service "requirement" to maintain the warranty (even if the regulator has not been used) is one of the things that drove me to dump my Scubapro gear and go with Atomic (2 year service schedule and the warranty is not dependant on it).

I have had better luck at Sub-Aquatics in Reynoldsburg personally - a bit of a drive from NE Ohio, but worth it to me. I had 2 full Scubapro reg sets including two second stages per first stage, with SPG's, serviced & O2 cleaned there for under $200. They also give you back the 'old' parts they replaced - my S600 had a flutter on exhale even after servicing at one shop (and I told them about the flutter when I brought it in for service), next year Sub-Aquatics cured that and charged me half the price the first shop did.

My Scubapro gear was 'pre-owned' so there was no 'warranty free parts' used in my sets - if that factors in to your evaluations.

Hope you find the best arrangement for you!

A reasonable cost for labor on an annual service is no more than about $25.00 per stage. SP does not specify any retail price for parts, so dealers are free to sell them at cost or mark them up as a means to increase profits. More than $30.00 for normal annual service parts though is probably getting into profit gouging.

The place I've been using lately is about $50 total labor for both 1st & 2nd. I'm still getting the SP free parts so don't know what that would be, but 140 sounds like way too much.

Thanks everyone for the help and it seems to go along with what I thought, seems way too expensive. I will try to go to another local dealer and check them out or just drive to Akron and deal with them.

Tom

tmds:
Thanks everyone for the help and it seems to go along with what I thought, seems way too expensive. I will try to go to another local dealer and check them out or just drive to Akron and deal with them.

Tom

Call the dealer in Akron first, I just found out that Ka Puka Wai (the SP dealer in Akron) recently changed hands. The new owner may have different prices. Good luck.

wmspdi:
Call the dealer in Akron first, I just found out that Ka Puka Wai (the SP dealer in Akron) recently changed hands. The new owner may have different prices. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip - Ka Puka Wai, when open in North Canton before moving to Akron, is what made me go to Sub-Aquatics in Reynoldsburg for my Scubapro service. I'll have to drop by their location in Akron and see the new owner etc. once I get done with the night shift work I'm currently tied to.

Back
Top Bottom