Questions about keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasdiver2

Registered
Reaction score
Am going to FL Keys June 26 for seven days. Can you all take a look at these questions/plans and comment:

Have only dived in Coz and Aruba before. There, the dive operator included tanks/wts in the cost of the dive. Also, a DM would accompany you on the dive. In the keys, from what I can tell from websites, it is the custom to charge you for tanks, wts, and a "guide" if you want one. Do I understand this custom correctly? ( I have all equipment, incl computer, except tanks/wts)

What type of viz can I expect at that time of the year?

What type of wetsuit, if any, would be appropriate for that time of year?

I am staying at Coconut Mallory Resort and Marina in Key West. I thought I would dive with a Key West op for four days. Spend a day at Key Looe. And spend a day in Key Largo on the drive back to Miami at the end of my week. I will spend a night or two in Miami so the Largo dive will not be close to my flight home. Is this a good plan? Any recommendations for these locations would be welcome or any recommendations for alternate locations also welcome.

how is the diving around the Tortugas? Is this worth the trip out there? if so, any recommendations for a dive op?

Thanks to all

And Happy Independece Day!

I've dived up an down The Keys a few times here, so let me get you started on opinons...

You might want to update your Profile, number of dives and cards? If you're still kinda' new, you are going to some of the safest Newbie diving in this quareter of the world, but you do want Guides, and do not want to try the deep wrecks until qualified.

Tanks & Weights are usually included in the charter price in the Upper Keys, like Key Largo, but often are not in the Middle Keys, like Marathon. The latter is kind of like a Locals Discount. Just be sure to ask when inquiring.

Some operators cater to Newbies and include Gudies with the price, which is usually a little higher; some aim more at Experienced and don't, and cost a little less; and some require one only on more challenging dives, and charge more on those trips. Again, ask when booking.

I'm 6 foot by 200+ pounds, and I would expect to wear a long skin or a 1 mil at most. Your cold tolerance may vary. I've not heard enough good about Key West diving to spend more than a day there, with the better diving available just up the road. I'd love to do the Dry Tortugas someday, but that may be a little advance for you...??

Finally, if you dive up to the last day, dry your gear overnight, pack and rush to the airport - you should have the 18 hour minimum surface interval suggested by DAN before flying, but - more is safer, and there are no guarantees.

I do hope you are a member and insured of DAN...?

don

Texasdiver2:
Am going to FL Keys June 26 for seven days. Can you all take a look at these questions/plans and comment:

What type of viz can I expect at that time of the year?

What type of wetsuit, if any, would be appropriate for that time of year?

I am staying at Coconut Mallory Resort and Marina in Key West. I thought I would dive with a Key West op for four days. Spend a day at Key Looe. And spend a day in Key Largo on the drive back to Miami at the end of my week. I will spend a night or two in Miami so the Largo dive will not be close to my flight home. Is this a good plan? Any recommendations for these locations would be welcome or any recommendations for alternate locations also welcome.

how is the diving around the Tortugas? Is this worth the trip out there? if so, any recommendations for a dive op?

Thanks to all

No wetsuit needed in the summer. Water temp will likely be mid-80's. Vis can be anywhere from 20-100 feet. More than likely it will be 50 feet +.

The diving in Key West was beautiful in the 60's & 70's. Overdiving & anchoring has taken its toll.

I think Looe Key is the prettiest/healthiest reef in the Keys & I dive up and down the Keys a lot.

The best wrecks are around Key Largo..but we have some nice wrecks in the Middle/Lower Keys also.

I hope you enjoy your trip!!

Was down that way in Dec and Jan. Did Key Largo. Used 5mm wet suit, my buddy used a skin. But 3mm would be fine, and in summer may get away BA. But I like some protection inaddition to thermal.
Vis is usually 60+

Never done Key West, but don't believe there is much in the shallower ranges.

Most usually quote price incl tanks and wts. Nver anyone quote price for wts.
re DM: plan your dive dive your plan

Ditto on Looe Key, it's the best "bank barrier" type reef in the Keys. There are a couple better reef communites in that area, but they're sorta secret (and too many divers would muck 'em up).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom