Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew about the 6-month passport thing and had to get my boys passport out and check it several times (paranoid). His expires in 2012....he got it when he was younger and expires sooner because of his age.

Good point on the pens. You have a lot of paperwork to fill out. On one of my trips, I purchased a pen at the airport giftshop (little pricey).

Departure Tax - Can you pay that when you arrive so you don't have to do this on the day you depart.....do you recommend this?

Also, good point on the insurance. We've got the Preferred DAN insurance and because of my position in the company I work for we have some pretty good travel insurance through our group plan.

CajunDiva - What can I say. I've been through what you are going through and it sucks. I've thought about you and your family often and can only hope that you get this over with and move forward. That is really the only thing that can be done. Hang in there.

Snagel

Thanks for the kind words...much appreciated!

That departure tax is something everyone needs to consider :eyebrow: No, it can't be paid in advance. You have pay it before you go through security during departure, and it has to be cash. I have been careful to stash just enough cash for departure on each trip and have almost been caught short a couple of times...they seem to increase the tax at will :idk: It's kind of a catch 22 because you want to have enough money to cover it but you don't want to give them large bills because your change will be in lempiras. So if you don't want to get stuck going home with a bunch of lempiras in your pocket, make sure you have some dollar bills available when you depart :D

Mexico includes Departure taxes in the plane ticket, but so many countries don't. I've seen kids with return tickets begging for bucks at airports before, but it'd be funny to see a couple of grown up Cajuns. :laughing: Each person needs a $20, a $10, a $5, and a few $1 approaching the departure gate. Throw any leftover Lempiras you don't want as souvenirs into the nearby charity box.

If your medical coverage is goooood outside of the country, fine; don't forget that DAN has to be contacted and Travel Assist be arranged by the insurer (AIG I think) if anyone needs emergency evacuation. We don't plan on such, but I've seen two - one involving a plane that had to fly around a Cat-5 hurricane. There are other benefits to trip insurance but if you don't get any, then have losses - I'll remind you how much you saved on premiums. :D

Storms are rare, but not impossible so bookmark Tropical Weather : Weather Underground and check it well before leaving and each night. Good to stay informed and get an early start if needed. Hehe, I also eyeballed several routes up the adjacent hill away from the power lines in case of earthquake; the one time they had one, the staff told people to stay in their rooms. :silly:

Beer & wine is free but dehydrating so hydrate even more often. Drink, pee, drink, pee - and long SSs. Take notes for a trip report when you get back; expecting a good one. :thumb:

I'll second that trip report suggestion...I'd love to hear if all the information actually did any good :D We'll be heading out a week after you get back, so it would be nice to hear what's going on down there :wink:

Steve: Ditto Roatanman-The swimthru's are not that confining and there is no overhead obstruction to the surface.

There is a really nice Chimney at Doc's Dive which you can swim up and this some in your group if they are concerned about Mary's Place & Calvin's Crack swimthru may not want to go into.

However as RM said, the DM will give you a breifing before the dive, at the site, and if anyone doesn't care to go into any area, they are advise to just swim over the top and wait for the ones who are swimming thru. No one is made to try anything they are not comfortable with.

A chimney? Sounds fun!

It's sure going to be fun down there. In fact we're going to have so much fun, we aren’t going to leave any for you guys! It’s going to be boring when you get there :)
Hey, we do appreciate all the help with our questions. You too Dandydon :) And we still have another week to ask question, so don’t go anywhere yet.

It's sure going to be fun down there. In fact we're going to have so much fun, we aren’t going to leave any for you guys! It’s going to be boring when you get there :)
Hey, we do appreciate all the help with our questions. You too Dandydon :) And we still have another week to ask question, so don’t go anywhere yet.

Now THAT'S what I want to hear! Give it your best shot SteveC...but I can promise you your best shot ain't enough :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Fantasy Island will still be waiting for us :D

Have a GREAT time and don't scare off all the critters...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom