Questions about Edmonds Park, and I actually got into the water in wetsuit today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFame

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So first off I got my suit on (by myself today, which feels like HUGE step) and went into the water at Salmon Bay. A friend and I just snorkeled around with cheapo mask set. Fins would have been helpful, gloves would have been nice and a hood would have been GREAT. Water was cold, but the only place I felt it was on my hands a bit but MOSTLY on my face and head. My suit stayed dry (not bad for a WETsuit). Was nice and warm and a little more buoyant than I knew how to deal with. Wasn't easy too dive down very far, the 7mm suit, my hefty tush, and the air in suit kept me floating pretty high in the water,. Was a ton of fun though, found a few starfish and a crab that was running along the sand under the water. Tons of fun I really need to go get started.

My questions about the Edmonds Park are what is there? Could one snorkel around? Where is it? and what kinds of stuff make it a park, vs. say like the shoreline further down?

Thanks guys.

Hi Bigfame,
Here is a link I pulled from Bobs thread about Bruce Higgins Underwater Trails (formerly Edmunds Underwater Park)
Hardy divers sculpt a silent world at Edmonds Underwater Park

In addition to the tons of sunken boats and man made objects its a great place to see some of the best Pacific Northwest marine life. Its a great spot to see huge cabbies, ling cod, and nudis.

As for snorkeling, I have seen free divers at the site but almost everything in the park is at 35ft. You could possibly tool around in the eel grass on the north side of the jetty and look for small critters.

Once your done with your certification you could volunteer on Saturdays and help Bruce Higgins sink cool new things in the park. I haven't done it yet but look forward to helping out once the summer is over.

Good luck with the certification and drop me a PM once you’re done and would like to get out and dive.

Bill

Bigfame:
I am a recently certified diver. I got my cert in Belize wearing a 3mm shorty, and I needed 24lbs of lead there. Up here with my 7mm I need 40lbs of lead. I also went from al 80s in Belize to steel 100s in Puget Sound - that equates to another 3-4 lbs of lead.
I could not afford a dry suit (given all the other gear I bought) so I went the wet suit route. It works. Cold has not been a problem on the two dives I made with it. It does feel tight out of the water, and it is very buoyant - but I have not even had a sensation of cold.

Dave

thanks dave for the picture and the wetuit info. I was able to get like 8-10 feet below the surface to grab a starfish, and then back down to set him (or her) back down but that was a LOT of kicking. I can see where weights and maybe even fins come into play. Thanks again.

The way you are trying Bigfame is great, get a weight belt and try 10 pounds, with finns.

The proper way is walk in the water and you should be half mask at surface with air out of lungs, inhale air from snorkel and your head comes out of water, ther is a differnt anology from everyone, that snorkels, but if you stay a touch above neutral bouyancy, you can rest easy, after a few snorkel dives you start breathihg harder and the air that is in and out of the lungs keeps your head higher out of water. with practice the finns will take you down, and a little weight will keep you there so to go along the bottom without floating up.

Happy Diving

Dido as above mentioned just one more this to the freedive/snorkel thing. For every one min. down two min. on surface. Just like in diving use a dive float to mark your area with one exception and that is pull it around with you. I tied snots every 5ft to help in determining depth. Use a lead weight at end of rope to hold it in place while you dive. With practice and proper breathing you can visit the scuba divers at Edmonds underwater park. For a truly fun and exciting time head up to Neah Bay and dive/snorkel the kelp beds right off shore. Or the shore line during high tide. Watch the currents up there during tide exchange even next to the shore line it can be a hard swim.

There's a lot of stuff at Edmonds, but as said, much of it is deeper than ten feet. The shallows near shore, though, have some beautiful sand anemones, sole, Moon snails, Hermit crabs, and other fun things. I'm rarely bored on the swim in.

BTW, it's WONDERFUL that you are spending the time to get in the water in your suit, and use your snorkel, and do some free diving. It's going to make your certification class MUCH easier for you.

TSandM I don't ave a choice, I am so gung ho to get started its making me crazy. I had so much fun on tuesday the ONLY reason we got out when we did is my buddy was getting cold in his 3mm (he has a 6mm with a rip anyone repair locally?). I could hace stayed in all day, although I think a hood and gloves would have been nice. I am going to just go up and prepay my class ( I am still waiting on another friend for shceduling purposes) that way at least I have fins, gloves, decent mask and snorkel etc. I'd be in the water today if they didn't expect me at work.

BigFame, just do me a favor . . . Once you finish your class, please get in touch and let's go diving. Your enthusiasm is fabulous, and I'd love to get to be the one to pilot you through one of your first dives, and just get to ride on your delight in what we see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom