Questions about diving on the honeymoon in both Kauai & Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Schnitzer

Registered
Reaction score
We're both certified Open Water divers. She gets a little sea-sick if the sea is choppy and the boat is rocking, and that's in the Carribean! I'm wondering how she'll fare diving in Kauai & Maui since the boats will have to sail on the open Pacific Ocean and not the relatively calm Carribbean. Bonine anyone?

We'll be there end of June through mid-July...

Should we stick to shore dives? Are there good shore dives in these locations? We'd prefer a small dive operation (8-10 divers max) to take us to good dive spots and show us around...

thanks in advance!

On Maui, check with Ed Robinsons and Mike Severns. They run smaller boats, though I believe take up to 12 divers, divided into 2 groups. They are both really great ops and you can't go wrong diving with either of them.

The boat diving in Maui is better than the shore diving IMO, though if you don't mind lugging gear to the beach, you can find some good spots to explore from shore. If you're staying in Kaanapali, Black Rock is a good shore dive and you can rent tanks/weights at the Sheraton if you don't want to lug your own to the beach.

Since your fiance tends toward sea sickness, make sure you always do a morning dive. The trade winds pick up in the afternoon, making the seas very choppy.

Because I get motion sick (air and water!), I like diving with Lahaina Divers even though they can have up to 23 divers on their boats. Their boats are big and powerful and built specifically for diving, so are very roomy and comfortable, even with a full boat, and they seem to roll far less than the smaller dive boats. In our experience they run as professional of an operation as Ed Robinsons and Mike Severns, they're just bigger and it feels different.

I get about as sick as you can get...I take my pills (2), don't eat anything acidy and it works like a charm.

We just went to Kauai for our Honeymoon, didn't dive but still had a great time. if you check the link in my signature you can see some of the top side fun.

In Kauai we stayed on the south shore at Poipu, we dove with SeaSport divers and the spots that they took us to were literally minutes from the dock. Nice short ride easily tolerable. Dive Sheraton Caverns, more turtles than you can count.
Maui is another story the boat rides tend to be much longer and a lot rougher. Think about doing shore dives, that would certainly alleviate any sea sickness issues. Agree with DiveMe regarding Lahaina Divers, if your staying in that area they are a good op. Search my posts for them if you want more info..

I dove with Scuba Shack in Maui. I didnt like their boat as it was very tight fitting. I would also recommend looking into Mike Severns. I will dive with them next time I'm there. My fiance gets sick easy and she had no problems in Hawaii. Seas were calm as glass when you go out early.

Mr. Schnitzer:
We're both certified Open Water divers. She gets a little sea-sick if the sea is choppy and the boat is rocking, and that's in the Carribean! I'm wondering how she'll fare diving in Kauai & Maui since the boats will have to sail on the open Pacific Ocean and not the relatively calm Carribbean. Bonine anyone?

We'll be there end of June through mid-July...

Should we stick to shore dives? Are there good shore dives in these locations? We'd prefer a small dive operation (8-10 divers max) to take us to good dive spots and show us around...

thanks in advance!
For Maui, I'd agree with Diveme and go with someone who has a bigger boat like Lahaina Divers - I dove with them a few years ago. Robinsons, Severns and anyone who launches from the Kihei Boat Ramp - tend to have smaller boats so they can launch there. So it's probably a rougher trip across to either Molokini or Lanai - which is where a lot of the Maui diving is.

If you plan to dive Molokini, the backside is rougher than the inside - although better. Inside the crater, it's pretty calm. For an even better ride over go with Pride of Maui or one of the big dive/snorkel powered catamarans, they rent tanks to certiified divers as they'll also do a discover diving course on the boat. As long as there's two of you, you're free to do what you want. It costs more, but the food's better, they have a grill onboard and do a full lunch.

Once at the Cathedrals it was rough with people getting sick on the boat - surprisingly even my buddy. The other time it was smooth as glass. In general Lanai seems to be a little rougher, one dive at Shark Fin rock, we had to time the ladder in the water to get back onboard, it was pitching a good 3-4'. Even the DM's thought someone was going to get hit.

Good advice (from Diveme) about diving in the morning before the swells pick up. Some of the diveboats leave at 7am for that reason.

There's some good shorediving on Maui. In addition to Black Rock, there's Airport Beach to the north and Wailea Beach and Makena Landing/Five Graves to the south. At Wailea you can usually get tanks at the resort next door, at Airport get them in Lahaina first. I also like Ulua Beach for a nice easy first dive of the trip, it's along the road between Lahaina and Kihei so bring all your own gear. Easy entry, they teach there, so there's other divers around.

On Kauai the North side is rougher, I've read that big waves coming from overseas hit there hard. And Niihau is a long, rough o/w crossing. Probably an Advanced AOW dive too. Most of the shoredives on the northside are AOW also.

South at Poipu Beach is a good, easy, shallow dive. Twice there were sea lions in the area sunning themselves, but I don't think you're supposed to approach them. Even if you don't dive there, go to Poipu Beach for the day, there's tangs and butterflyfish in 2-3' of water near the rocks.

Another good easy dive is Sheraton Caverns, you can go on a boat or even swim out. However, they rescue people regularly at the Caverns who can't make the swim back in so I'd suggest a boat dive - it's a great dive, lots of sunken in lava tubes and usually big turtles in the area - I got my picture taken next to one that must have been 200lbs. The DM's have their own pet morays there too.

I've been to Hawaii several times in the last decade, usually at the same time you're going, so I'm guessing you can expect similar conditions.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/index.htm for info/pictures on shorediving sites on both islands.

Steve

I go with B&B Scuba and they leave early enough for Molokini that the water is flat and the wind is asleep. You're back on the dock after doing two dives by 9:30 in the morning. Molokini backwall is a world class dive, Lanai is a nice dive.

Has she tried taking a Dramamine the night before, and then the morning of a dive?

The advantage with the smaller boats is that you're always near the edge (overboard vomit) and you have a clear line of sight to whatever keeps you un-seasick (for me, it's facing forward).

About the ladder comment: ERDA's boats have ladders on the sides which usually pitch less than the stern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom