Questions about diving in Jupiter and BHB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kkfok

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I am from Hong Kong and I am planning to go to West Palm Beach/Jupiter for some diving after a liveaboard trip to Socorro in March of next year.
Plan to spend 3-5 days there, primarily interested to shoot some sharks at Juptier and batfish/pike blenny at BHB.
Sorry that I am not familiar with dive operations in the US, is that possible to go with one dive shop and do diving in Jupiter and BHB? I have sent emails to several dive centers but there is no reply yet.
Do charters such as Emerald or JDC have dive trips every morning during the winter? How easy is it to find the polka-dot batfish and pike blenny at BHB? I am thinking to
do 2 days of diving at BHB.

Another problem is I do not drive, how easy is it to get a taxi from my accommodations to the dive shop? I have thought about staying at Jupiter Waterfront Inn and do diving with Emerald, still waiting for reply from them. Cheers :wink:

Frankie

I have never used Emerald but hear they are a good dive shop. When I dive Jupiter I typically use Jupiter Dive Center. They ussusally have at least one boat trip every day, but it depends on the weather. On Fridays they have a 3 tank dive in the morning. I have always enjoyed the crews at JDC.

Jupiter and WPB are about 15 minutes apart, depending on where you stay and who you are diving with. I have never used any of the dive shops in WPB to dive BHB, so I'm not sure if they offer service to the bridge or not. If you have specific goals in mind for diving BHB you might be best to hire a guide. If you get on the BHB Bridge Trolls forum you can learn a lot about what can be seen there and there are a couple people who hire out as guides. One in particular is also a photographer and would be able to help you find what you are looking for.

I have dove both locations many times and always thoroughly enjoy my dive time. Good luck, and I hope you also enjoy your dives.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ScubaJenny on SB guides at BHB as well as 2 instructors at Force E, a few blocks from the bridge on Blue Heron Blvd.; Jeff or Mark. You will likely find a batfish on your own, pikeblennys will be more difficult. I suggest staying on Singer Island just to the east of the bridge if you do not drive, a taxi to Emerald and the less than 1 mile trip to BHB will be easier to find there. There's a Hilton and a Marriott along with many more resorts, small and large. As you may know, the bridge is tide dependent--we uasually get in about 1 or even 1.5 hours before hi tide. And, it's shallow with 22 ft max, so your dives can be long-2 hours is common for bridge divers. If you stay on Singer, Pura Vida Dive and Surf is there as well as Force E nearby on the mainland. PV has a nice dive boat. PV might have a package with some of the hotels, check the website...........check out the Trolls thread here--lots of info. We are diving the bridge today--hi tide is 3:50pm and also planning to dive Sunday morning when hi tide is about 7am. Tide tables are available at Force E and other dive shops in the area and there are many shops and dive boats.

Another option is to stay on Singer Island like Jimw suggested and then do the shark dives with Calypso (assuming they are still doing them) they leave from the Lake Park Marina which is much closer to Singer Island and BHB than Emerald.

Like those above, if you want pike bennies at BHB, I would suggest hiring a guide. You can see all sorts of things on your own, but if you have a specific target in mind, a guide would really up your chances.

As to Jupiter, if you want to see sharks, it is probably a good idea to go out with a group that is looking for them. Quite a few boats go for Goliath groupers. Now I like seeing the groupers but if you are going to their haunts, you probably have less chance for sharks. Of course, they often go where conditions allow.

BHB - go on your own unless you want to do a night dive then get with Force E. Dive starting about an hour before slack high tide - bring your macro lens. Also check out the BHB trolls thread here in the forums. For boat charters, I'd can suggest using Jim Abernathy's Scuba Adventures or Narcosis Dive Charters - both are berthed close to Phil Foster Park at the BHB. I've used both and both are fine though I'd give the nod to Abernathy's for strictly rec/photography diving - if you want to spear though I'd tag Narcosis as it's way more prevalent on the boat. I've used JDC before too and it's a good op - just a bit farther up the road

Thanks guys. I think I definitely need a guide at BHB as I am a "wide angle shooter", my eyes are not good enough for macro. :D
Just sent email to Calypso about shark diving, hope they will have that on weekdays. Does Scuba adventure do chummed shark diving at Jupiter/West palm beach? I cannot find any information about their diving with Deep Obsession.
Cheers

Thanks guys. I think I definitely need a guide at BHB as I am a "wide angle shooter", my eyes are not good enough for macro. :D
Just sent email to Calypso about shark diving, hope they will have that on weekdays. Does Scuba adventure do chummed shark diving at Jupiter/West palm beach? I cannot find any information about their diving with Deep Obsession.
Cheers

Abernathy doesn't do shark dives in Florida. Check out Emerald Charter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom