Questions about buying my own gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KC10Chief

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! I recently got open water certified in Curacao. I was there "working" for six weeks. I logged 16 dives while I was there. Anyways, I live in Oklahoma. There is actually a bigger scuba scene here than I thought. Still, it's nothing like Curacao. There is a dive shop near my house that has their own pool, their own lake, and they do a lot of dive trips to places all over the world. I went it yesterday to check it out. I really liked the place. The guy talked to me for 30 minutes and I didn't buy anything. However, the only gear they sell is Scubapro. I asked about servicing since I'm going to buy my own gear. I bought some fins and a mask while I was in Curacao. They just happen to be Scubapro. Still, the guy at the dive shop said they only service Scubapro gear. Is this pretty typical for a dive shop? I do like Scubapro but not everything. I'm not crazy about their wet suits and definitely not crazy about their dive computers. Their BCDs are pretty nice but I think there are better options out there. I like to buy locally but I'd like to be able to get it serviced locally as well. I'm not opposed to ordering online either. I'm pretty new to this sport but I'm already hooked and looking at going diving as soon as I can. Is it typical for a dive shop to only deal with one brand of dive gear?

First of all, welcome to the tribe. Diving can be a lifelong activity, so think long term when you purchase gear.

Most dive shops carry more than one brand of equipment, as well as servicing several brands. That said, ScubaPro is one of the top brands as far as world-wide availability and service. The company dates back to the early 1960s and they have a reputation for providing parts and service for almost all of their obsolete/discontinued products, meaning that you can have your equipment serviced for decades to come.

If you are interested in seeking other brands for comparison shopping, look to Aqua Lung and Mares for world-wide sales and service (great if you are traveling and need work done). Any one of these three brands will provide the recreational diver with good quality equipment at reasonable prices.

Finally, nobody that I know dives 100% one company's products. Diving is a personal sport, and people buy one brand of wet suit, another brand of regulator, another computer, you get the idea.

I happen to be a Scubapro fan because of durability of their regs and over the years, the ability to have them repaired in many different parts of the world. So, IMO, you can't go wrong with Scubapro once you get past the relative high prices. Virtually every manufacturer makes good equipment these days and most dive shops carry multiple brands.

I would, however, limit initial purchase to mask fins and wetsuit and try out some different rental gear over time to decide what you really want/need. When I was a newbie, I rushed out and bought the wrong stuff based on bad advise from my LDS.

Now, I look at communities like this one and also chat about gear with other divers and DMs I meet, before rushing out to purchase.

Congrats on your new addiction! Before you spend a bunch of money buying your own gear consider the cost of servicing yearly. A reg costs around here $25 per stage plus parts. I figure it costs me a little more than $100 most years to get my reg service and every few years a new battery in the computer. If you can rent it for the number of dives you do in a year and be under that number I'd hold off on that. However getting your own BCD or even your own computer that won't cost you money every year will help you to be more comfortable in the water. Tanks cost money every year for viz and every 5 for hydro but that is minimal they are however large and heavy and available almost everywhere you dive for only a couple bucks more than a fill. Just my 0.02

They're probably a Scubapro Platinum dealer which means they typically won't sell other brands in the areas Scubapro has a product line. Was it ScubaBros - they are. Here's a couple other non-SP local options - Frank's Underwater Sports, Oklahoma's Oldest Dive & SCUBA Store, Edmond, Oklahoma or Bluewater Divers – An Oklahoma City Scuba Diving shop. 7,000 Square Foot PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center that offers all Scuba Lessons, sells and services all major brands of Scuba equipment and provides Scuba Travel - all the major gear mfr's have dealer locators on their websites so you can find others near you also.

I also don't think you could go wrong with Scubapro regulators although I don't own any. Scubapro recently adopted a 2 year/100 dive service interval which really only needs to be kept current for future warranty reasons unless you buy everything (bc, regs, suit) as a package from your dealer then (I believe) they still offer free parts for life on the regs although the larger cost is the service charge anyway. Parts kits all seem to run about $20ish but your local shop (or any other) get 2-3x that for labor.

I'd rent, talk to other local divers before you buy anything. A lot of people get certified in some tropical warm water destination then faced with the local mudhole diving lose interest. Or travel to dive in which case you may want to buy gear in the travel category - it tends to be lighter weight, thinner wetsuits, BC's with less lift/features so they pack easier etc. About the only standard is most regs. weigh around the same so there's not a lot of "travel" regs. although there are a few like the Aqualung Mikron.

As others have mentioned, i dive 4 major brands. I've been diving 35+ years and have yet to purchase a tank and although I own weights for local diving, most of the time they sit in the closet. In the past decade or so, we exclusively fly to dive since I live in AZ so we get both at our destination.

Scubatoys.com could be a good option for you. They can probably get most things delivered to you within 48hrs via UPS (from Dallas) and they have a liberal exchange/return policy as long as you don't get stuff wet/scuffed. And they won't oversell you. I buy from them regularly even though I have more than a dozen shops nearby.

Ask about anything you like here - somebody probably has one.

Following the example below - my regs are Atomic Aquatics, my BC is a Zeagle, my computer Suunto. I do own Scubapro gauges and boots.

Last edited:
Most of the divers I know dive alot of different mfg's gear. I personally have Suunto, Aqualung, Sherwood, ONeill, and BodyGlove.

I always tell new divers to make sure they will keep diving before buying gear. I bought my wife her own gear right after certification because I knew we would dive maybe 25 to 30 times a year, and I wanted her to be very familiar with what she was using. If you keep diving, it does pay to get your own equipment, at least to a point.

Agreed with a lot of the points on the above posts. i.e. think long term, log some dives to know what you like/prefer. Being new to diving in the last couple years, my wife and I at this point have purchased everything including our own tanks and for the most part are very happy with the vast majority of what we purchased. We have however had a couple regrets specifically with our first air integrated computer choices. On somethings you don't know what you will/wont like until some time under the water. Also it depends on the type of diving that you plan to do (boat, shore, current, etc.) as that can also effect some of your gear choices. Overall though, I highly recommend the investment in your own gear. You can really dial it in and get comfortable. When you know your gear backwards and forwards, it makes for more relaxed and enjoyable dive! :)

Safe Diving and welcome to the group!

Matt

Hello! I recently got open water certified in Curacao.

Welcome

There is a dive shop near my house that has their own pool, their own lake, and they do a lot of dive trips to places all over the world. I went it yesterday to check it out. I really liked the place. The guy talked to me for 30 minutes and I didn't buy anything.

Having a relationship with a shop is useful but not as critical as it once was. There are other information sources, Scubaboard among them. Scubaboard has a systemic bias, but local dive shops also have a (different) bias.

However, the only gear they sell is Scubapro. I asked about servicing since I'm going to buy my own gear. I bought some fins and a mask while I was in Curacao. They just happen to be Scubapro. Still, the guy at the dive shop said they only service Scubapro gear. Is this pretty typical for a dive shop?

In my experience, the typical situation is that dive shops officially service only whatever gear they are dealers for. If you have a relationship with them, and bring in gear that they officially don't service, they may service it anyway. Often dive shops have relationships with other local shops that allow them to get parts for competing brands on the q.t.

Bear in mind that not all gear requires service. e.g. I dive a $30 mask. If anything goes wrong with it, I'll just replace it. Gloves, boots, compass, same deal.

I do like Scubapro but not everything. I'm not crazy about their wet suits and definitely not crazy about their dive computers. Their BCDs are pretty nice but I think there are better options out there. I like to buy locally but I'd like to be able to get it serviced locally as well. I'm not opposed to ordering online either. I'm pretty new to this sport but I'm already hooked and looking at going diving as soon as I can.

I have bought most of my gear used, but I also patronize divegearexpress.com, leisurepro.com, freedivestore.com, makospearguns.com, and piranhadivemfg.com. I service my own gear. I have a good relationship with two local dive shops, which I use for air fills and instruction.

Is it typical for a dive shop to only deal with one brand of dive gear?

The shops I've visited typically have a primary brand, or maybe two primary brands. They add other brands to bring in product lines that are insufficiently covered by their primary brand or where they want to offer a contrasting price point. It's old-school retail, and markups are high. The thing to remember is that the industry is fairly mature and there is little difference in the products themselves among brands. Your experience of diving will be no different (trivialities like hose routing and minor differences in weight aside) whether your regulators are Scubapro or Atomic or Mares or Hog or Deep Six or Cressi or Poseidon or U S Divers. The differences will be in how, where, and at what cost you get service, and in whether you can buy parts to install yourself.

Pump the breaks!! Right now, you don't know what you like or don't like. (I don't know you....maybe you do...but I sure didn't when I went nuts on equipment) I did the same thing 3 years ago and have upgraded BCD's 3 times now. I'd suggest renting, borrowing, or stealing various types of equipment before you commit to buying. Wetsuits, fins, masks (as long as it's dry and comfortable) and basic equipment is relatively interchangeable at this point. Regs, BCD's, and computers are expensive and there are lots of options. I'd try several out to see what you like and research the heck out of computers. (I love my Oceanic Pro Plus 2.x) I've gone from 2 jacket type BCD's to a Transpac and wing, and now an Transplate, aluminum back plate, and tropical wing. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably just go with the Transpac...but...there was a steep learning curve involved.

Lots of good deals on Craigslist now, but as a new diver, you don't really know what to look for. Scubapro is good stuff, but lots of options.

Blue Water (downtown Okc) has a rent to own program that they will apply the rental charge to the equipment if you buy it. That's a good way to try out several different types of BCD's. They also have a used equipment room downstairs. The end of year sale has some great deals on current rental gear if you can wait that long. Also, most online shops have great Black Friday sales too.

Pirates Cove is having a 40% off liquidation sale now. If your dead set on buying new, they have Sherwood BCD's. Not sure what else....lots of Mares fins.

Scuba Bros. by Hefner was filling their pool today, Sharkys, the new shop in Moore, has their own pool as well, and Foster pool by the capital opens up for divers every other Friday to try stuff out.

All are good shops, (I prefer Sharky's) but I still buy most of my big ticket stuff online.

Good luck, see you in the muck somewhere!!
Jay

The local shop makes money in a variety of ways. Selling equipment,servicing equipment, instructional classes, travel trips, local dive events, air fills, etc. They will be happy to have you as a customer at any level.

I personally own Scubapro regs and bcd, but was turned off by high pressure dive shop to service every year to keep the waranty valid even if not used. I never got any parts back when asked, and was upcharged for a leaky hose replacement twice on a set that had just been dove for a week at over 100' on most of the dives with no problem. I will never buy scuba pro again and will never use that LDS again.

I have a set of Atomic regs that are awesome, but there are many good regs for much less. Some are suggesting to buy a set of HOG or deep 6 regs, use them for a few years or 100 or so dives and replace them with new ones. Works out to less than $3 to 5 per dive for a good reg set rather than $7 to 9 with no service necessary.

Don't fall for the sp sales pitch. Buy what you like. Good gear that is well taken care of requires very little service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom