Questions about buying a primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the advice!

Impatiently searching lots of sites daily for a used 21W HID & diving a friends Sartek & Salvo this weekend.

If anyone has a nice one for sale or runs into a deal please let me know :D!

Thanks for all the advice!

Impatiently searching lots of sites daily for a used 21W HID & diving a friends Sartek & Salvo this weekend.

If anyone has a nice one for sale or runs into a deal please let me know :D!

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the DiveRite 15w HID is a nice light at a nice price, with a very compact canister and light head:

LI_LT6250-HID1000-2T.jpg

DiveRite HID 1000 Slimline Light at www.DiveSeekers.com

With a list price almost $500 less than most 21w lights it's a great option. Give Wayne or Jason at DiveSeekers a call on the phone to see if maybe they have a "special" price available on this light.

:wink:

Tell them I sent you and they'll treat you right.

Kathy- Do you ever keep the same avatar for more than a week???

Anyway, here's one for sale for $650

The Deco Stop

Tom

The Deco Stop

Tom

One note about the 18w: the bulbs are fragile, and when they blow, they're expensive to replace (over $100 for a new one). You could get an 18w (which really puts out just about as much light as a 21w), dive it until the bulb goes (and hey, it might not), and then send the lighthead to Sartek for Carl to retrofit a 21w bulb for $150. Then, you get the benefit of the tougher bulb for about the same price as a replacement 18w bulb. If ever your new 21w breaks, replacement bulbs are cheaper.

Hijack ... I'm interested in this one ..
cbps45h21.JPG
[SIZE=+1]CBPS10H2113DS (U.S. Pat.# 6,679,619)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]21/13 Watt Focusable HID System with on/off/21/13 watt switch on the head, 8.8AH Lithium Ion Battery Pack in Screw Cap PVC Canister with the new rotary switch (Belt or Backplate Mount), HID-GSHR Adjustable Rigid Goodman Handle, and Universal Fast Charger (100-240 VAC) . Burn Time about 4 hours U.S. Pat.# 6,679,619[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]MSRP $1,200.00 [/SIZE]

...Any thoughts on the switchable aspects or burn time (it's about $150 more than the straight 21w one)

I actually have that light and I love it. It is definitely nice to have a switch on the light head to be able to turn it of/on and be able to control the intensity (although most of the time I am running at 21W). I can turn the canister on while I am getting suited up and slide it back out of the way and never thing about it again. The remainder of hte dive, I use the switch on the light head. I typically get 4+ hours burn on 21W and 7-8 hours on 13W. The only downside is the balast. Definitely not as long as the H, but it is larger in diameter. Since i use si-tech dry gloves, there is a little competition for space there... But I love it

The Deco Stop

Tom

Uh, not so quick on that one. I PM'd the guy last night and made an offer. He countered and now I'm just waiting on a shipping rate to send him the money.

I've had a WA 10W for years. Never a problem. Ditto for friends with their H 18W lights. I think this "fragile" issue is an internet rumor. Don't throw your gear around and you should be just fine.

One note about the 18w: the bulbs are fragile, and when they blow, they're expensive to replace (over $100 for a new one). You could get an 18w (which really puts out just about as much light as a 21w), dive it until the bulb goes (and hey, it might not), and then send the lighthead to Sartek for Carl to retrofit a 21w bulb for $150. Then, you get the benefit of the tougher bulb for about the same price as a replacement 18w bulb. If ever your new 21w breaks, replacement bulbs are cheaper.

I actually have that light and I love it. It is definitely nice to have a switch on the light head to be able to turn it of/on and be able to control the intensity (although most of the time I am running at 21W). I can turn the canister on while I am getting suited up and slide it back out of the way and never thing about it again. The remainder of hte dive, I use the switch on the light head. I typically get 4+ hours burn on 21W and 7-8 hours on 13W. The only downside is the balast. Definitely not as long as the H, but it is larger in diameter. Since i use si-tech dry gloves, there is a little competition for space there... But I love it

Kathy,

I dove side by side with Chirs, and was amazed how bright his light was but more importantly how small his cannister light and head appear.

I say appear because Chris is built like a Super Hero, literally they were calling him superhero on the boat, must be that Drysuit, :D So it might appear smaller on his frame.

However, it is very small compared to my monster light, and I was like wow that thing is small but yet look at the power that it is emitting.

The only thing I saw in comparison to my 21 watt Halcyon Explorer is the color of the light. There is a definite difference in color spectrum on the two lights.

I have several clips of Chris using the light in about 100 feet of water the day we dove, if he is okay, I can post a 10 sec video of his light on this thread for you to view and make comparisons.

Mike

Last edited:
Kathy,

I dove side by side with Chirs, and was amazed how bright his light was but more importantly how small his cannister light and head appear.

I say appear because Chris is built like a Super Hero, literally they were calling him superhero on the boat, must be that Drysuit, :D So it might appear smaller on his frame.

However, it is very small compared to my monter light, and I was like wow that thing is small but yet look at the power that it is emitting.

The only thing I saw in comparison to my 21 watt Halcyon Explorer is the color of the light. There is a definite difference in color spectrum on the two lights.

I have several clips of Chris using the light in about 100 feet of water the day we dove, if he is okay, I can post a 10 sec video of his light on this thread for you to view and make comparisons.

Mike

The light I was diving that day was a Salvo 12W LED. Of the lights that I have, it is definitely my favorite. When I am out messing around, I like the LED because I'm not as concerned with the light head (breaking the bulb). Whenever I know I need the light of a 21W (bad conditions, training, etc) or when I need extended burns, I will take my 21W. It is about twice the size of teh 12W, but that still isn't too bad.

If that question about the video was directed at me, you are more than welcome to.

Kathy- Do you ever keep the same avatar for more than a week??? The Deco StopTom

Nope probably not - too boring :wink:

Uh, not so quick on that one. I PM'd the guy last night and made an offer. He countered and now I'm just waiting on a shipping rate to send him the money.

No worries Brian, I've been checking out your conversation with him.

I've had a WA 10W for years. Never a problem. Ditto for friends with their H 18W lights. I think this "fragile" issue is an internet rumor. Don't throw your gear around and you should be just fine.

Thanks, but I think the H light heads are just too big for my little frame anyway.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom