Questions about buying a primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I'm quite little and the Halcyon light head covers over 1/2 of my forearm - which makes it less attractive - even if motivated by principals and values.

The 10W is tiny. Here's a picture of it in comparison with my old Greenforce light, which was marginally bigger than a Halcyon 21W HID.

www.scubadive.net.nz • Information

But whether you are willing to compromise in the reduction in brightness is a big question.

If you believe in the principals and values, you'll have to make some sacrifices :wink:

I'm glad you're getting more feedback. Hit up all the local divers you've met too. Many will be willing to let you try their light for a dive.

For local waters, I found the Dive Rite 10W HID and Salvo 12W LED to be acceptable. Never had light envy, which is weird since I have huge gear optimization issues. However, my primary usage is caves in Mexico.

The only light I don't like is the Dive Rite 700 LED. Doesn't have the brightness or the punch of the Salvo 12W LED.

The 10W is tiny. Here's a picture of it in comparison with my old Greenforce light, which was marginally bigger than a Halcyon 21W HID.

www.scubadive.net.nz • Information

But whether you are willing to compromise in the reduction in brightness is a big question.

For signalling, a 10W is useless in OW. Period. I've dove with people who have 10W lights and they suck. Can't see them. In a cave they are pretty good. In OW, crap.

Boycott 10W HIDs for OW. And boycott CDNN. They are both about as useful.

For signalling, a 10W is useless in OW. Period. I've dove with people who have 10W lights and they suck. Can't see them. In a cave they are pretty good. In OW, crap.

Everything is relative. My current 10W HID is infinitely better than my old 21W HID for signalling - because it's a 6 degree beam rather than a 20 degree beam. I find it suits my needs fine, and certainly have no complaints from the rest of the team. But lights are personal, and perception of light is very subjective - hence the need to try loads and get an idea of what the best option is for you in your circumstances.

Everything is relative. My current 10W HID is infinitely better than my old 21W HID for signalling - because it's a 6 degree beam rather than a 20 degree beam.

I don't think you're likely to find a 20 degree fixed beam 21watt HID around here, unless it's something like a video light. Gotta stay apples to apples here. The four lights regularly used in my team are:

1. Salvo 21w HID
2. Salvo 10w HID
3. Halcyon 10w HID
4. Halcyon 21w HID

All are adjustable focus and have a ~6 degree spot focus, which is the only setting any are ever used in. Both 21w lights are superb for illumination and for signaling, and can be clearly seen in any conditions in OW. The Salvo 10w has the large #3 reflector; you can't usually see the "light saber" beam in OW but the spot is nice and tight. The Halcyon 10w sealed module has the weakest beam--maybe the MR11/MR16 form factor has too small of a reflector? For night dives or under the kelp canopy or when the viz deteriorates, all the lights work great, but in the daytime, it's all about the 21w.

Gombessa,

What is your opinion on the 21w Halcyon? Do you mind having the ballast on the light head? How do you like the focusable beam?

Thanks,

MG

No problem signaling with my 10w HID in OW. Works great in wrecks, OW, day, night, etc. That being said. I will probably move up to a 21W HID or possibly high-powered LED when they get better. Mine works fine and will serve me well for the next several years. It is also a dive rite and there are not problems with any leaking. As long as you do routine maintenance there is no problem (I replace the o-ring and switch boot annually for about $6 total).

It depends on what your purpose is for the light and how much you are willing/able to spend.

I wouldn't mind springing for the Halcyon as I have learned the hard way - the global distribution of Halcyon (and availability of parts) is wider than most other brands (at least in SE Asia).

But I'm quite little and the Halcyon light head covers over 1/2 of my forearm - which makes it less attractive - even if motivated by principals and values (been a bit out of the loop & missed those conversations).

Starting to research the other suggestions too. Thanks for the advice everybody.

Just read the 500+ post thread salvo vs. H at the decostop. 2+ months out of the country with my head in the water & I missed the whole thing. I really hope that you all get your lights back & that parts/service continue to be available.

I agree, it's best to check out your recommendations by borrowing/diving different lights first hand & perhaps this industry conflict will make more sense with a bit time.

Any additional advice on purchasing a first primry light is still very much appreciated.

Thanks again for the education!

Last edited:
I have a friend that owns a 10W Oxycheq light, and I must say I was impressed with the quality of the beam. It has a very tight bright spot in the center that works well for signalling, and a nice, even, aura around it. For the size, and wattage, it is a heck of a light.

I still like my 21W salvo though.

Tom

Gombessa,

What is your opinion on the 21w Halcyon? Do you mind having the ballast on the light head? How do you like the focusable beam?

Thanks,

MG

The big 21w ballast really does really stick out, and I do notice that the lighthead hangs down pretty low while in a temporary clip, but it's never been a big deal. I had the 18w before, which definitely has a more compact ballast, and yeah it'd be nice if the 21w was that small. But would I go to any trouble to change it? Nah, it hasn't bothered me.

The focusable beam isn't that useful for me. 99% of the time, I want it on the tightest spot focus available, and whenever I change the focus, it's because the reflector has shifted and I'm trying to get it back to spot. I've tried to use the flood setting to illuminate for video (way too uneven for that, need a video reflector), and I've set it to flood on a night dive to help a buddy illuminate the ground. But that's it. I wouldn't mind if it was fixed-focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom