Questions about Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it worthwhile to upgrade to the extra boat dives or are the beach dives the place to be?

I'd call it adding boat dives, not upgrading. Do it or not it's a lot about how you like to dive and spend your time and to a lesser extent your experience levels. Bonaire is all about the freedom to jump in anywhere anytime.

We went last spring and never got on a boat. Our Buddy Dive package actually included 5 1 tank trips and we couldn't be bothered. There was more than enough to do and we did it all at our own pace. That was us, shore diving from the back of the truck is what we do and consider that easier and more care free than boat diving.

If you are the sort of diver than likes to follow a DM or your trip will not be complete without seeing a frog fish and seahorse then by all means arrange to be on some guided dives. Being on a boat dive provides this. I'm more about serendipity. Next trip we do intend to work Klein and a pier or 2 into the schedule if pier activity permits.

We ended up doing lunch daily at the Buddy Dive pub by the sea or whatever they call that hut. Our package had a 50% discount on the first $200. and we had nice lunches for small money. It forced a good midday break and still left plenty of time for 2+2 dives with the evening to unwind/dine out or make a night dive.

Our plan was to get sandwich fixings but we arrived on a 3 day holiday with the market shut down. By the time it opened the pattern had been set. Next time I'd still try to go the sandwich fixings route of logistics work out.

Have fun,
Pete

ok, so I am one step closer to a stay at the Belmar. Does anybody know anything about them? It sure looks nice!

My family and friends have stayed at Belmar several times. Very quiet, we plan on staying there every time we go. Highly recommend

Bel Mar is a great place. They pick you up at the airport, the rental truck is there on site, no dealing with the rental agencies. The dive shop is right there on site. All of the rooms have great views and the pool area is nice if your into that. Don't bother with the boat dives, it's just addtional expense and most of the boat dives moor at the same dive sights that you shore dive from. The kitchens are fully stocked with pots, pans, dishes. I would however suggest that you request a first floor apt. We were on the second floor, the unit was very nice but the stairs are quite steep and when it rained the stairs were trecherous they were so slippery.
We ate in for breakfast and lunch and ate out most dinners. The food at the grocery stores is really not all that expensive so it saves some bucks on meals. At the end of the week, the folks at Bel Mar take you back to the airport and your done. No fuss no muss.

Just got back. Den Laman and Bonaire Dive and Adventure were great. The kitchen is stocked, and they clean up after you every day (did the dishes and everything). Brand new, modern units. I'm hoping to get a trip report up soon.

Trip report?!? Did somebody say trip report?!? :D

(71 days until we drive over to Houston, bound for Den Laman. :biggrin:)

I stayed at SandDollar, which is the same property as Den Laman, and the same dive shop. The condos were very nice, but don't expect to be impressed by the landscaping. Buddy Dive was much nicer landscaping wise, but I was very happy with our stay and the dive shop.

I am going back in November for two weeks, and I'll be staying at SandDollar again FWIW.

Another note about lunch/dinner...most of the local places take a little time to get your food and eat. Don't plan on eating lunch out if you want to get more than 2-3 dives per day

Tom

Back
Top Bottom