Questions about Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be on island via Continental from LAX through Houston, from September 6th to September 13 and we'll be staying at Den Laman. Their package with BDA was highly recommended by some locals. If you're curious about specific places and what the rooms look like go to Bonaire Condominium & Apartment Rentals If you're there that week and want to carpool to sites, I'm sure we can work something out.

I just noticed this. It looks like we'll be neighbors and plane-mates for the week, except that we're flying to Houston from ONT instead of LAX. We'll be in unit 2C "Parrotfish".

One tip I learned from our last visit: you may wish to consider booking the night before you arrive (the 5th) so you can get into your room as soon as you can drive there from the airport. Otherwise, you're stuck sitting around until the office opens at 8 a.m. and potentially not having a room available until the afternoon check-in time.

we'll certainly cross paths.... we'll be in 2F. Kathleen did mention booking the room the night before. Certainly sometime to consider. I booked that naturalist course with Jerry for monday, have you taken that before?

Mark

we'll certainly cross paths.... we'll be in 2F. Kathleen did mention booking the room the night before. Certainly sometime to consider. I booked that naturalist course with Jerry for monday, have you taken that before?

No, we haven't taken it. We only did 2 of the 6 boat dives of our package last time, so we didn't interact much with the BDA staff. I had hoped to meet Jerry at the Rum Punch party, but he was off that night.

The idea of scheduling a dive in Bonaire sounds horrid, which is why we're only doing the shore dive package this time. But the class sounds intriguing, especially the part on learning "search patterns in the ocean that everyone must develop in order to find the cryptic organisms". If the class could teach me how to find frogfish, it would be worth the fifty bucks. Heck, just going on the dive with Jerry is probably worth the $$, since he'll know where to find them. There were allegedly five of the ugly buggers spotted around Bari Reef during our last visit and we spent hours scouring the reef trying to find them without any luck, even though we were pointed in the general vicinity. I hate frogfish.

I am confirmed at a private condo now next to the Belmar August 30 to Sept 7th. maybe I can catch you guys at the end of your trip. anyway, I CAN'T WAIT!

Mark

Hmm, when I tried to book the naturalist course with Jerry, BDA told me that they'd schedule it during the time we're there, but we don't have a firm date. Gee, maybe I should contact them again since we want to do it as our 5th specialty for our Master Scuba Diver cert.

No, we haven't taken it. We only did 2 of the 6 boat dives of our package last time, so we didn't interact much with the BDA staff. I had hoped to meet Jerry at the Rum Punch party, but he was off that night.

The idea of scheduling a dive in Bonaire sounds horrid, which is why we're only doing the shore dive package this time.

Thanks for the head's up on the boat, we'll probably do them on the front end of the trip. It seemed hard to pass up on the boats when with their special it's $120 for 6 days of Nitrox and with the package it was $209 for 6 days of nitrox and 6 boats. I was just thinking 6 boats for $89 not a bad deal. As far as the naturalist course I need any help I can get. Been diving SoCal for 7 years now just over 300 dives and yet to see a BSB or make it to San Miguel 0 for 5, damn Santa Cruz again???

Hmm, when I tried to book the naturalist course with Jerry, BDA told me that they'd schedule it during the time we're there, but we don't have a firm date. Gee, maybe I should contact them again since we want to do it as our 5th specialty for our Master Scuba Diver cert.

Did you try booking it online? Bonaire Dive and Adventure - Reservation courses
I just submitted it yesterday morning and asked for Sunday but they said Jerry only works weekdays??? So we changed it to Monday and they said done deal. It was Catherine who replied to the request. Maybe you caught them at a busy time.

I am confirmed at a private condo now next to the Belmar August 30 to Sept 7th. maybe I can catch you guys at the end of your trip. anyway, I CAN'T WAIT!

Yeah, we should meet for dinner on that saturday night, pass along some of the do's and don'ts from your week, lol. Bummer I missed you on wednesday, I ended up in the upper parking lot with Ken and Billy. Claudette came by and said Dwaters was down there needing some weights so I gave her two 5s. I'll be at more Beach Crab stuff, I dive a lot with Jmdiver (John) and Orangelion (Robert). So I'm sure we'll cross paths before the trip. Any word on your fin?

My wife and I did two courses with Jerry on our last stay. These were both one morning courses. We were both very enthusiastic, and we wound up stretching the 1-hour class into the whole morning. Jerry is very excited about marine life, and he feeds off your questions and enthusiasm.

The 'intro' course Jerry taught was focused on the most common fish you see on every dive. He showed us the 50 most common fish spotted on Bari Reef, and described the basic families of fish. On the dive, he showed us a bunch of stuff all over the place, including 'boring' stuff that really became interesting once he explained what was going on...

Seahorses are my personal brass ring. I've seen frogfish on half a dozen or so dives, but still no seahorses. I counted 26 flamingo tongues one dive on gorgonians while looking for the buggers.

Tom

My wife and I did two courses with Jerry on our last stay. These were both one morning courses. We were both very enthusiastic, and we wound up stretching the 1-hour class into the whole morning. Jerry is very excited about marine life, and he feeds off your questions and enthusiasm.

The 'intro' course Jerry taught was focused on the most common fish you see on every dive. He showed us the 50 most common fish spotted on Bari Reef, and described the basic families of fish. On the dive, he showed us a bunch of stuff all over the place, including 'boring' stuff that really became interesting once he explained what was going on...

Seahorses are my personal brass ring. I've seen frogfish on half a dozen or so dives, but still no seahorses. I counted 26 flamingo tongues one dive on gorgonians while looking for the buggers.

Tom

That's one plus of diving with a dive master. They know where they are. In diving with Divi Flamingo. I must of seen over a dozen of them, only one that we found on our own. Including a pair that live by the town pier.

The score for me was the day there was one hanging on a branch under water and our DM just touched the branch and the sea horse released, swam over to another branch, curled its tail around it and then took a bite out of it. I'd never seen a Sea Horse move before, let alone eat. Amazing.

Thanks for the head's up on the boat, we'll probably do them on the front end of the trip. It seemed hard to pass up on the boats when with their special it's $120 for 6 days of Nitrox and with the package it was $209 for 6 days of nitrox and 6 boats. I was just thinking 6 boats for $89 not a bad deal. As far as the naturalist course I need any help I can get. Been diving SoCal for 7 years now just over 300 dives and yet to see a BSB or make it to San Miguel 0 for 5, damn Santa Cruz again???

I don't think you need any special spotting techniques in order to spot a BSB. They're kind of hard to miss. Still, I have around 200 SoCal dives under my belt, and I only saw one once, at San Clemente. It was a beautiful fall day, 100' of viz vertically at least since I could see the boat from the bottom of the wall at Little Flower, when this massive shape approached. I was ready to wet my drysuit when my fish ID instinct kicked in and I realized it was shaped a lot more like a giant fish than a shark. Whew. (Later that dive, a huge bat ray buzzed by, and then at the end as we were ascending, we were treated to a nice bait ball. What a dive!)

The boat diving is a great deal in Bonaire, there's no doubt about that. The boat rides are very short which keeps fuel and maintenance costs down. And there's simply no other way to dive Klein Bonaire. When I stayed at Buddy the time before last, we opted for the 11-dive package and used all 11, mainly because Janna slipped on their slippery floors and wrenched her leg so bad she could barely walk, let alone shore dive. I really liked the boat diving at Buddy because it's very convenient.

On the other hand, with BDA, I didn't find their boat diving so convenient. They use a small boat that doesn't have room for tank holders. So instead, they stuff 12 divers on a boat sized for 8 and you assemble your gear when you moor at the site. That means that they pass out tanks on a crowded boat, not just any tanks, but everyone has to have their own particular nitrox tank and everyone is diving nitrox because it's free. Then you have to try to get your BC on your tank while balancing it between your feet on a bouncing boat. Inevitably someone drops their tank, hopefully not on someone's toes. You then follow the DM until someone on the boat runs out of air in 15 minutes, then you follow the DM back to the boat where you spend 30 more minutes in the shallows until the dive is called at about an hour. If the DM spots a frogfish or seahorse, you have 12 divers crowded around it kicking each other and making photography generally impossible.

Not only that, but you're on a schedule, since you usually have to sign up for the boats in advance. On the last trip, where we did almost exclusively shore dives, I fell in love with the lack of schedule and finally got to know the meaning of dive freedom. No "be at the dock at xxx time if you want to make the boat", no "this is where we're going because ...", no "turn the dive when the first in the large group uses half his air"; it's mosey downstairs whenever you feel like it, grab your gear and 2 or 4 tanks and throw them in the back of the pickup, drive to wherever you feel like going right then, gearing up at your own pace seated on the comfortable tailgate, make an easy walk into the ocean, and dive at your own pace for as long as you both can still breathe. By grabbing four tanks instead of two, you can make another dive, again wherever you want, after whatever surface interval you want, and it's just as easy. Then head back to BDA for more tanks, maybe a lunch somewhere, and repeat. That's dive freedom and that's what Bonaire is all about.

I can't wait.

For those of us not from the Left, what's a BSB?

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom