question regarding backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta:
There are things I agree with in DIR and things that I don’t, it is a matter of personal preference.

Oh boy.

Manta if your lights are so "DIR" just let the other guys comment on them. If they are so good the guys will say so. Nobody likes the hard sell...

Ben_ca:
Oh boy.

Manta if your lights are so "DIR" just let the other guys comment on them. If they are so good the guys will say so. Nobody likes the hard sell...

It's not the hard sell, it's simply clarification. The mind set with DIR is "one way or no way" I would have a cross functional product that will fit the needs of DIR as well as non DIR divers.

to get back to the op's area of inquiry - creamofwheat, one thing to consider is how 'thick' the backup is. i love my salvo backup, but it's chunky & i had to move my d-ring higher to get it out from under my arm, since i couldn't put my arm down over it. another thing to consider is how it will lay on the webbing. i don't really like my mini q40 because the boltsnap has to go on a corner, and that makes it want to pull out of the innertube, so i have it going up from the d-ring rather than down.

Allow me to point out that this is the DIR forum and, as per forum rules, non-DIR answers are not permitted. I'm not sure that the light in the picture has a tight enough beam for signaling as effectively as, say, a Scout, but I haven't seen one in the water either.

BabyDuck:
i love my salvo backup, but it's chunky & i had to move my d-ring higher to get it out from under my arm, since i couldn't put my arm down over it.

It has been pointed out to me by a few people that the Salvo Backup Light (aka Princeton Tec Surge) is not DIR as it has a switch...

I personally broke a switch off a Princeton Tec Surge in a store. I wasn't even trying.

Vie:
It has been pointed out to me by a few people that the Salvo Backup Light (aka Princeton Tec Surge) is not DIR as it has a switch...
yep, it does. yet another thing for creamofwheat to keep in mind. thanks for the pointer on that!

Keep your eyes out for a new Photon Torpedo from Chuck at GulfTex. He says it will be out by Christmas.

Wow, thanks for all the really informative responses. I really appreciate it. After reading through this thread and doing some of my own research as well, I think I have decided on the halcyon scouts. But would someone mind telling me the difference between the normal scout and the mini? Is the light beam the same, and the only difference simply in the size of the light? Or is there actually a difference in light beam? Aaaand, suggestions...to go LED or to not go LED? I think the normal beam is tighter than an LED beam, correct? I am not sure of this though. Anyway, thanks again!

The only difference is the length of the light body and burn time; approx. 4.5 to 5 hours for the "regular" 3-cell versus "greater than 4 hours" for the 2-cell Mini-Scout - go LED if you can afford it (see post #16 also). The LED will give the longest burn time; greater than 6 hours for the LED Mini-Scout; the 3-cell LED Scout "provides approximately 30% brighter output, with a burn time of 5 hours" according to Halcyon).

The Mini-Scout is nice if you are wearing a battery canister for your primary light on you waist - the longer "regular" Scout can get in the way of the switch on the canister if you have a short torso.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom