question regarding backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have two forgman ledlensers great strong lights. good value for your money. dir with the placement of bolt snaps. problem they are only rated to 7 bar

Most lights on the market will have an eye either at the base or near the light head that will allow you to attach a clip of your liking. If you are diving with a more tec oriented harness and backplate, it will be easy to secure the light by clipping it to a chest level d-ring. The now dangling light can be further secured in the following manner: slide a piece of bicycle inner tube or a piece of tubular neoprene onto the harness shoulder strap and slip the light head into this. A number of different lights can be used in this fashion. It is really up to you to find the right one. So long as it fits onto your harness without being too bulky and can be easily opperated by you with one hand and eyes closed you should be ok.

jonnythan:
Certainly looks brighter... not sure about tighter though. I guess I'd have to see it in the water.

Thanks for the pics Greg.
Certainly looks whiter, I don't know if I agree that it looks brighter. That tight focused beam from the scout looks pretty bright in comparison.

Jason B:
Certainly looks whiter, I don't know if I agree that it looks brighter. That tight focused beam from the scout looks pretty bright in comparison.

The Diamond not only is brighter it throws a much more light. The scout does have a tighter beam but there is no comparison which light you would want to have if your a primary light failed. The scout also has a hot spot in the center, out of that range, it does not produce the intensity of light

Manta:
The Diamond not only is brighter it throws a much more light. The scout does have a tighter beam but there is no comparison which light you would want to have if your a primary light failed. The scout also has a hot spot in the center, out of that range, it does not produce the intensity of light

You are missing the whole point of a backup light as far as "DIR" is concerned. In the event of your primary light failure, other team members will still have their primary lights - your backup is used primarily for signalling, hence the need for a tightly focused beam (and long burn time) is more important than how "bright" it is.

Vie:
You are missing the whole point of a backup light as far as "DIR" is concerned. In the event of your primary light failure, other team members will still have their primary lights - your backup is used primarily for signalling, hence the need for a tightly focused beam (and long burn time) is more important than how "bright" it is.

I Fully under stand the point of a DIR Bback up light. Our beam is tight, tight enough that it makes signaling understandable. It also has a 6 hour burn time and is brighter than the scout. The Diamond is capable of being use as more than a back up. I am familiar with the DIR philosophy. There are things I agree with in DIR and things that I don’t, it is a matter of personal preference.

hoosier:
I have seen this light several times. It looked great and stylish... As I remember, the price was a slightly less than $100 compared to MSRP, $148...

Hoosier,

Our older version of the diamond was a 1 watt LED and the prices varied between $100 and $120. The Diamond was up graded to a 3 watt LED. Our recommended MSRP is the $148.

jonnythan:
Certainly looks brighter... not sure about tighter though. I guess I'd have to see it in the water.

I agree with jonnythan.

Manta:
Hoosier,

Our older version of the diamond was a 1 watt LED and the prices varied between $100 and $120. The Diamond was up graded to a 3 watt LED. Our recommended MSRP is the $148.

Oh~~ I see... There is an upgraded version.. It is good to know that...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom