Question re: "Safety Sausage"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
Could this be the one from ScubaToys? It is inflated orally.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Acc_signal.asp

Yep, that's the one I got, they call it a "duck bill" valve on the bottom ?

I have not yet had the oppertunity to play (opps, I mean "practice / train") with it yet, but it's got a dump valve on it and says it can be used as a light duty lift bag, so I figured why not, it's bigger than the other one's the LDS had :)

rottielover:
Yep, that's the one I got, they call it a "duck bill" valve on the bottom ?

I have not yet had the oppertunity to play (opps, I mean "practice / train") with it yet, but it's got a dump valve on it and says it can be used as a light duty lift bag, so I figured why not, it's bigger than the other one's the LDS had :)

Hey... that *is* nice...

(Everytime I log on here, it costs me money...) :(

rottielover:
.....so I figured why not, it's bigger than the other one's the LDS had :)
The only reason for NOT gettting a bigger SMB is that is may increase the likelyhood that you leave it behind on the boat rather than bringing along for the dive. If you do find yourself ever doing this, then you should go buy a smaller one for those dives.

Allison Finch:
Make sure if you deploy if from depth that it has an overpressure valve. It will burst if it doesn't.
Not necessarily. That's what I thought also, but since then have found that the popular "Sea Me" series can be launched fully inflated from 100'. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1654883&#post1654883 includes a photo of the very compact setup I use of 20' of 2mm cord wrapped around one of those sausages. A nice convenient way of launching a "don't run me over" signal to boats while at a 15' safety stop.

the halcyon sausages inflate with your low pressure inflator hose. It also has a dump valve on it so you can use it as a lightweight liftbag.

both types exist. The "beach ball" types need to be inflated on the surface and are strictly surface aids. If you want to inflate them under water then you need something with either an open end that you can fill up with your octopus (or by exhaling into it) or with a coupling for an LP inflator hose.

R..

BigTuna:
The inflator on DAN's SMB can be used both ways: inflate it orally or connect it to your low pressure hose. I got one and use it for ocean diving. It's an excellent product. Here's the link:

BigTuna,

I am thinking of getting one of these. Is the bottom of the sausage sealed in some way to ensure air escapes through the OPV only? If so, how can it be orally inflated? My current sausage is the sock type with an open bottom, so I am not sure how this type operates. The open bottom type is not great for rough seas as the bottom invariably clears the surface between swells, leading to the air escaping.

Can you comment on the other equipment that is included in the kit - mirror, cyalume, BC bag?

Where do you clip this bag off? BP/harness D-ring/crotch strap D-ring(s)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have to order this from Jo'burg unseen - need to get it right 1st time.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
BigTuna,

I am thinking of getting one of these. Is the bottom of the sausage sealed in some way to ensure air escapes through the OPV only? If so, how can it be orally inflated?...Can you comment on the other equipment that is included in the kit - mirror, cyalume, BC bag?...Where do you clip this bag off?
OK, Andrew, here's info you and I would wish DAN would post on its web site about their "surface signal kit." FYI I've dived with it but haven't inflated it the water.

The DAN sausage is a sealed tube that's about 6 feet long. Rolled up it is a cylinder 7-1/2 inches long by 3 inches in diameter. The roll is cinched down with a velcro strap that wraps around the cyinder, reverses thru a plastic D-ring and secures to itself. The cinch strap has a 1-inch SS D-ring that you could use to attach the inflated sausage to your BCD with a double ended bolt snap. The rolled up package provides access to the signaling devices described below, and it displays DAN's international phone number prominently.

The sausage comes with a plastic snap hook. I removed this and tied on a SS bolt snap. I've dived with the sausage clipped to the rear D-ring on my crotch strap and to the right waist ring. It works fine in both places. I think it could be accordian-folded and carried in a backplate pouch.

There are three ways to inflate the sausage. Here's the first. At the bottom end is a cleverly-designed chamber welded into one side of the sausage. You can release gas from your second stage into the chamber. The gas is routed inside via a fish trap-shaped funnel that keeps most of the inflation gas inside, the same way some lift bags work. But when the sausage is fully inflated the trap is sealed closed by internal pressure pressing against it.

You can also inflate the sausage orally or using your LP inflator. Both of these options use an inflation tube mounted about 20 inches above the base. It is a 2-inch length of hard plastic with an elbow where it enters the sausage. It's capped with a 2-inch dual-purpose inflation device made of the same hard plastic. You can press your lips against this and blow, or you can make a non-locking connection with your LP hose.

Near the sausage's base is an overpressure valve that should allow you to deploy the sausage at depth. It has a lanyard, so you can manually control the pressure.

Nearly opposite the inflation tube is an adjustable velcro strap that runs halfway around the tube. It ought to be handy as a handle if you want to hold up the sausage and wave it around.

On the same side as this strap is a 5-foot long strip of reflective tape that runs down from the top of the sausage.

At the very top of the sausage is a plastic D-ring, and there's another a foot below the top. I imagine you could attach a strobe or slate to either of them. Between the two is a clear plastic pouch that is open on both ends and that will accept a light stick. Near the top are two bits of velcro that could also be used to secure a light stick.

The included light stick is about 6 inches long that the package says produces a green light good for 12 hours. The signaling mirror is 2 inches by 3 and has a sighting spot in the center. The whistle resembles a smaller version of the classic storm whistle. The mirror and whistle each have string lanyards attached. The three items store in a velcro-closed mesh pouch at the base of the sausage.

Whew!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom