Question re: "Safety Sausage"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
why is it called "delayed", Red? Do you use a reel or a finger spool?

I have no idea, but Charlie's explanation sounds good to me. I'm sure it is what you use where the tube has a hollow end with an overinflation valve. Put air in it and it shoots to the surface at the end of the reel.

Dive Rite Express calls it a "marking bag"

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/liftbags.shtml

The sausage is called a "see me." Yuk.

I bought the Halcyon 6 foot safety sausage because it is a closed circuit type and it can be inflated orally or via your inflator hose. I was surprised how quickly the inflator hose filled it. On the other hand, it took a few breaths to pump it up orally. The way I see it, if I need to use it, I could likely be out of breath so I like having both options. The closed circuit prevents repeated inflation.

By the way, I tried to get one that looked like "Otto Pilot" from the movie Airplane!, but wasn't comfortable with the inflator tube location.:wink:

Jon

TheRedHead:
That's the way I've always inflated my DSMB. Tilt your head so as to have the exhaust port ponted into the bag.
Hi Red.
Are you horizontal when you do this? Or do you have to go a little vertical?
I am guessing you can do this with a reel, but probably not a spool, right?
Thanks.

Splitlip:
Hi Red.
Are you horizontal when you do this? Or do you have to go a little vertical?
I am guessing you can do this with a reel, but probably not a spool, right?
Thanks.

Horizontal and usually in a current so I position the bag so is is flowing in the current. I previously used a reel, but now I am using a spool (per my last tech instructor's gear reconfiguration). I've read objections to this method because of possible reg entanglement, but it takes more than one breath and if your reg is in the way, you can feel it on the first breath. I don't think it is an issue. When I release the bag and after the reel stops whizzing I put my head down and fin down to counter the positive bouyancy. If you can find 20 feet of water, it would be an ideal place to practice. The pool is really shallow and you don't get enough air expansion in the bag.

Got it. thanks.
Nice tips.
I have had no training in deployment. Just kind of watch and then experiment. I am new to the spool but decided to give up the line control you get from a reel's guide after I bird nested mine.
Thanks again

If you have an SMB with a "straw type" inflator, I press it against my dive alert and it inflates just fine. Make sure if you deploy if from depth that it has an overpressure valve. It will burst if it doesn't.

sytech:
I ordered a "safety sausage" called "Sea Me Dive Signal with Inflator".
It appears that it needs to be blown up orally or am I mistaken?

I could swear I've seen a type that you connect to your Octopus for a second or two and that inflates the tube?

Someone please straighten me out about this!

Thanks,

Sy

I just use my sausage as a surface signal (that is, once *I'm* on the surface), so I use the oral inflator. It's a one-way valve, works great, no problems.

If you're unfortunate enough to need it for an OOA/equip. malfunction, early pickup, the oral inflation might prove to be an advantage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom