Question on used BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryABC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Looking at buying a used Zeagle Ranger. There is no annual service record on it and it is 9 years old. What can I expect to have to replace to make it safe? Is it likely to need a new bladder? Other parts?

Thanks for your help!
Gary

Welcome to the board.
Most likely you will not need to do anything to it. Unless it has been abused there is little to go wrong. If it were mine I would dissamble all of the dump/overpressure valves and clean them in fresh water and rinse the inside of the bladder. Assuming the hoses are in good shape and I suspect they are, the only other thing I would do is to disamble and clean the inflater. This is easy to do, just remove the large hex cap opposite of the inflate button and remove the assembly. You can either replace it ( $5-6 at Scubatoys)or if it's in reasonable condition soak it in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water followed by a soak in water. Dry, lube with silicone grease and reinstall. I am aware of 2 different versions of the inflater instert so be sure to get the correct one.

I think Herman has it pretty well covered!!

I will just add that if you are unfamiliar with such equipment, you may want to take it to a local Zeagle dealer and have them check it all out for you. The cost should be pretty low, and you will then have peace of mind.

Thanks,

Scott

Welcome to the board.
Most likely you will not need to do anything to it. Unless it has been abused there is little to go wrong. If it were mine I would dissamble all of the dump/overpressure valves and clean them in fresh water and rinse the inside of the bladder. Assuming the hoses are in good shape and I suspect they are, the only other thing I would do is to disamble and clean the inflater. This is easy to do, just remove the large hex cap opposite of the inflate button and remove the assembly. You can either replace it ( $5-6 at Scubatoys)or if it's in reasonable condition soak it in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water followed by a soak in water. Dry, lube with silicone grease and reinstall. I am aware of 2 different versions of the inflater instert so be sure to get the correct one.

See why we pay him the big bucks?

One more thing to check...is that it holds air. Inflate it and let it sit; it should hold most of the air overnight. OK, I lied about one more thing, you should also check for any dry rotting of the fabric cover.

c

p.s. Welcome to Scuba Board

Hello Gary ABC, and welcome to Scuba Board. All the advice above is good. The only thing I would add, and this is where I agree with Scott is for you to take it to an Authorized Zeagle dealer and have them check it out. They have the parts and training to do it right, and that should give you good peace of mind.
The Ranger is an excellent rugged piece of equipment and with proper care you should get many enjoyable years out of it.
Safe Diving,
George

Shoot, I am worth 3 or 4 times what I get paid. :)

Shoot, I am worth 3 or 4 times what I get paid. :)

3x0 =0
4x0= 0
Yep, your right Herman! :D

A couple years ago I bought a 15 year old Ranger. I wanted the bladder and inflater assembly for a BP/W. The guy told me how many dives he had on it and it was something way out there. He had just sent it to Zeagle for its one and only service. When I got it I couldn't believe how well this thing had held up. I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a frayed thread on this BC. You could tell that it had been used but was in great shape.
At either rate have it checked out and make sure the dumps and the inflater are good to go. Oh and make sure to get it wet soon! :D I seem to like me gear better when it is wet.

Oh no.....you still owe me BIG TIME, Mr. Herman....and don't think I have forgotten!!

:D :D :D

Owe YOU !?! I thougth you owed me...Oh well, it appears one of us owes the other. One of these days we are going to have to get together and figure out who owes who what. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom