Question on dive watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a little extra or actually the cost of a reasonable dive watch you could get an entry level dive computer.

There are numerous examples of inexpensive dive watches in this thread and unless the unit is sealed a dive computer can flood too. I get you want to push a computer probably because your LDS pushed one on you but they are not necessary, they are just more gear the dive industry says you should buy. I find it interesting that GUE advises against buying a dive computer and recommends a simple timer.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 08:00 PM ----------

My advice is to rent equipment before you buy. I dived for five years before buying, it allows you to try out different stuff

I do not recommend this. It only works if the LDS has all types of gear to rent or you live/dive in an area with multiple shops. Also usually rental gear is lower-end and beat. It can also get expensive pretty fast as renting a full set of gear is around $40 to $60 depending, so 10 rentals and your already talking about a good chunk of change on your own gear.

I dive with a MARES PUCK - relatively cheap and has plenty of information displayed. once you set it up, you really don't need to push the button ever. unless you get into Deepstops.
I also bring a NIXON SCOUT - wrist watch, analog face, says its good to 100m. i have had this to 130ft, and been wearing it every day for close to 10 years. it ticks and tick and ticks.... only down side , it has no backlight or rotating bezel. also, the heavy nylon strap won't go around my cold water exposure suit, so I strap it onto my SPG.

There are numerous examples of inexpensive dive watches in this thread and unless the unit is sealed a dive computer can flood too. I get you want to push a computer probably because your LDS pushed one on you but they are not necessary, they are just more gear the dive industry says you should buy. I find it interesting that GUE advises against buying a dive computer and recommends a simple timer.
Why do you assume my LDS pushed a dive computer on me? My post clearly states I purchased my computer online as demo. I made the suggestion since the OP is new to diving and interested in starting to buy gear he looks at buying an inexpensive computer. If he buys the watch first then decides after few dives he wants a computer then it may be more cost effective in the long run to just get the computer especially if the cost is fairly close.

I also never said you can't dive without one or that computers are essential to diving. I said they are more convenient and can safely lengthen your bottom time. While GUE might recommend simple bottom timer I see no reason why this should prejudice any advice that dive computers are also safe and easy to use.

I would also recommend that the OP consider renting a few times before purchasing gear. If he is really interested and then continues often and frequently then by all means buy sooner rather than later. But $60 rentals even few times still cheaper buying a jacket BC then deciding to go back inflate BC or even Back plate with wing so often recommended here on SB. Better to buy something after little experience and then make a more educated choice than buying blind without experience trusting the person giving you advice.

... they are just more gear the dive industry says you should buy.

I'd guess the sale of dive computers was more market driven, than industry driven. Technology moves on... dive computers offer substantial features that increase the information available to the diver. They also permit significantly longer bottom times than tables/watch/depth-gauge, is the user conducts multi-level profiles (which most do).

Comparing the cost of a computer versus an 'inexpensive watch' is inaccurate. You also need to factor in the cost of a depth gauge and tables. Then add the 'value-for-money' benefit of shorter versus longer dives over the foreseeable future. If I pay $XX for a dive, I get more value from enjoying 45 minutes, than 30 minutes...

I find it interesting that GUE advises against buying a dive computer and recommends a simple timer.

That's pretty irrelevant on this thread. They use a 'simple timer' in combination with a specific dive planning/management formula. Unless, of course, the OP is open to spending 3-4x much on qualification to have training on that method, using GUE as an example is utterly irrelevant.

In the context of PADI (or other mainstream agency) tables - opting for a watch/depth gauge is merely a choice to use 30 year old technology in preference to modern methods. There's no justification for it... even on price.

It would be helpful if the OP would chime in and let us know what he's learned or plans to do or if he has more questions. I don't think he's been back to this thread since the original post.

I have a seiko dive watch that has worked great for 10 years or so and I wear it frequently out of the water as well as a back up timing device in the water. It was about $200. I disagree with the posts recommending a dive computer instead of a dive watch. I think a back up timing device is very useful; dive time is a critical bit of data and dive computers do occasionally go belly up. And for someone who has not yet been certified, a decent functional and not-too-ugly dive watch is something he can use if he's like 90% of OW divers and doesn't actually continue diving much after the class. Whereas a cheap dive computer is not even a good paperweight.

I wear a watch while diving. It is a $30 Timex purchased @ 50% off during a 2001 store going-out-of-business sale. I used it as a soccer referee's stopwatch for 5 yrs and have used in during about 450 dives since 2004. Just once has it needed a new battery and I changed it myself. Not a bad deal.

. . . And for someone who has not yet been certified, a decent functional and not-too-ugly dive watch is something he can use if he's like 90% of OW divers and doesn't actually continue diving much after the class. Whereas a cheap dive computer is not even a good paperweight.

I'll agree with that. If he buys a dive computer and then ends up not continuing with diving, he's out some money. Of course, he could sell whatever equipment he bought, taking a bit of a loss on it.

I still think his best option is just to rent a computer during the course if the instructor says that would be useful. I'm sure the dive shop rents them. If he decides he loves diving, he can buy a computer. He will have also gotten the experience of using a computer, and that might help him decide what features he wants or doesn't want when he goes to buy his own.

It would be helpful if the OP would chime in and let us know what he's learned or plans to do or if he has more questions. I don't think he's been back to this thread since the original post.

I really appreciate all of your comments. What I have observed is for the price of a good quality dive watch I can get a entry level dive computer so is it even worth getting a watch?

I really appreciate all of your comments. What I have observed is for the price of a good quality dive watch I can get a entry level dive computer so is it even worth getting a watch?

I'm my opinion, No - not worth getting a watch in place of a dive PC (in addition to is nice however). Personally, I'd worry about getting certified first.

Back
Top Bottom