Question on dir-f card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Oh it's out there JasonB. Take a trip to Ginnie Springs sometime.

I've dove Ginnie many times but that is a different issue all together. An Intro level diver could very well have been trained in doubles yet doubles are not allowed at their level (Intro) of training so that is why they are not allowed to dive doubles. Not because they can't prove they had training in doubles. A DIR-f card stating you had doubles training would gain you nothing at Ginnie.

Wrong. A DIRF full pass card IMPLIES you have trained in doubles and since Ginnie is simply upholding the agency's rules, it should allow. I am wondering if the recreational pass card from GUE says recreational (single tank only) and the normal DIRF pass says nothing to keep consistency with the old standard.

PerroneFord:
Wrong. A DIRF full pass card IMPLIES you have trained in doubles and since Ginnie is simply upholding the agency's rules, it should allow. I am wondering if the recreational pass card from GUE says recreational (single tank only) and the normal DIRF pass says nothing to keep consistency with the old standard.

Wrong? Nah...
The DIR-f card does not allow cave diving so you get nothing from it at Ginnie. Why is this so hard to understand.

The agency that issued the intro card (NACD) says no doubles at intro level - GUE has nothing to do with it.

If you want to dive doubles at Ginnie, get cave trained.

Hmm... this was not my understanding, but I have not talked to Ginnie about it. It was my understanding that he issue was one of "doubles training" more than cave training, but that might be untrue.

Oh, and I can dive doubles at Ginnie :)

Guys,

The DIR-F card does NOTHING else other then allow a student to progress onto further GUE training classes. In terms of the DIR-F card, issued with or without doubles, is a distinction without a difference in the instant case. In NO way, shape or form does a DIR-F card of any nature certify a student for access to caves. They are two completely separate animals.

Hope that clarifies the point.

Regards,

MHK:
Guys,

The DIR-F card does NOTHING else other then allow a student to progress onto further GUE training classes. In terms of the DIR-F card, issued with or without doubles, is a distinction without a difference in the instant case. In NO way, shape or form does a DIR-F card of any nature certify a student for access to caves. They are two completely separate animals.

Hope that clarifies the point.

Regards,

I realize that the DIR-F card has nothing to do with allowing access to caves. My instructor and I were talking about places (sometimes boats or dive ops) that don't like to have divers using doubles unless they can show they have had training in doubles. He told me that my card would say on it that I trained in doubles, thereby helping me in those situations. That would have been the differnce that I was looking for. When the card showed up without that on it, I figured i'd ask.
Also, recently there was a post on here where someone was traveling to the PNW and wanted to rent doubles. An answer given at the time was "you can get them at shop XYZ, as long as you can convince them that you have doubles experience or were trained in them" Those are the kind of situations I thought this would help in. But, as I said, my instructor was wrong and the cards do not have that distinction on them. The reply from Sonya is that they are still not sure if it is something they will do in the future.
No biggie, it just would have made things easier for me.

I've never been asked to show a card that indicates I've been trained in doubles to rent them. But I was asked to produce a card to indicate that I have technical certification before diving on a boat that allows doubles. Some recreational charters don't want divers to use doubles.

This is SO interesting reading.... you guys!

Jasonmh:
I realize that the DIR-F card has nothing to do with allowing access to caves. My instructor and I were talking about places (sometimes boats or dive ops) that don't like to have divers using doubles unless they can show they have had training in doubles. He told me that my card would say on it that I trained in doubles, thereby helping me in those situations. That would have been the differnce that I was looking for. When the card showed up without that on it, I figured i'd ask.
Also, recently there was a post on here where someone was traveling to the PNW and wanted to rent doubles. An answer given at the time was "you can get them at shop XYZ, as long as you can convince them that you have doubles experience or were trained in them" Those are the kind of situations I thought this would help in. But, as I said, my instructor was wrong and the cards do not have that distinction on them. The reply from Sonya is that they are still not sure if it is something they will do in the future.
No biggie, it just would have made things easier for me.

You should check and see if PADI has a doubles specialty. You can even get a patch for your hero jacket that states you are a "doubles diver" for the whole world to see, you'll get all the chicks then.

melfox26:
You should check and see if PADI has a doubles specialty. You can even get a patch for your hero jacket that states you are a "doubles diver" for the whole world to see, you'll get all the chicks then.

If PADI creates a doubles specialty I'll gouge out my eyes with my high pressure hose and fill my ears with silicone grease.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom