Question for you Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes but I notice you didn't define the line your self.

Welcome to the thread. If you start from the beginning, you'll find this.​

The point people are trying to make is that the curve up to tech diving is a gradual slope for many and not a sharp delineation.

Slippery, too, it would seem.​

So in that respect it is just it is just diving in that one has to answer the question, Do I have the skills, knowledge, equipment and experience to plan and execute this dive?"

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbayah. Though what any of this has to do with defining technical diving, I don't know.​

This question all have to be answered for a 30' reef dive, a dive to 120' or a dive to 300'.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?​

Fine, you want to feel like a big bad tech diver and stroke your ego be my guest. I am through "discussing" this with you. If you cant see how tech diving skills relate to recreational diving and the basic recreational diving skills support technical diving then I am not one to enlighten you. You can just be secure in the knowledge that you are right and everyone else is wrong.

So here is another question for you tech divers. :) You guys ever do Monastery with all that equipment? Seems like doubles, your 2 deco tanks (or however many you guys carry), and all that other (forgive the term) "crap" you guys take might make it difficult to get up and down that beach, unless you're superman. :) Just curious. Or for that matter, where do most tech divers around Monterey dive?

For the most part it is somewhat difficult to do shore kick "tech" dives in the Monterey area. The one major exception being north Monastery.

For shore tech diving with scooters, Pt Lobos is the most popular spot as there are several locations int he tech 1 range. Lobos has a boat ramp that depending on amount of algea covering, tide levels and surge can be very easy or treacherous. There are several methods that people use.

1) Position your gear as close to the shore, then grab everything and go. Its the fastest way to get in but can really suck if you get rolled off your feet.

2) Human bouy. Your buddy suits up with his/her doubles and jumps in the water. You ferry the equipment for both of you out to him then you suit up to join him/her in the water for the dive. After the dive you reverse the process.

3) Bouyed. Drop a bouy in the water and then ferry equipment out to attach to the bouy. Gear up in the double, enter the water and grab your gear. Afterwards reverse the process.

Now if you are saying to yourself gee all three seem like a lot of work.... welcome to tech diving. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom