Question for you Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wdunne311

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How long did you scuba dive before you went the tech route? What were your reasons for doing it? Did you have some specific site or event that made you decide to become a tech diver?

Brad

What Joe Talavera told us, in our Rec 2 class, was, "Do all the dives you know how to do, and the ones that stretch you. When all the dives you can do begin to bore you, then you should pursue technical diving."

I'm taking two tech classes in the next six months. I'm doing NACD cavern, and GUE Cave 1. The reason is that I went and dove in the cenotes in Mexico and fell head over heels, hopelessly in love with the caves. I have a VERY specific purpose for the training. I intend to go it, and to use it. I have the means and the time to make at least one, and probably two trips to Mexico a year to cave dive.

On the other hand, despite opportunities and encouragement from my buddies, I remain dubious about taking Tech 1 (an Advanced Nitrox, Deco Procedures sort of class), simply because I cannot identify anything in particular I want to do at non-recreational depths in Puget Sound. When I can figure out specifically WHY I would want the training, I will take it.

Answer the why. Then you know WHAT to do.

I went down the tech route mainly because I wanted to do one long dive rather than two short dives on the wrecks. I may progress on to two longer dives but at the moment I am happy doing one long dive and doing deco on the way back up. I still happily do single tank beach dives (with BP/W of course) but off the boats, I want a quality dive and a longer time on the bottom gives me that.

My mentors from the start were (then) GUE divers. (I'm not promoting GUE here...) So, I developed my frame of reference from what could be considered a technical viewpoint and pretty much knew I was headed for doubles, drysuit, and all that.

With all that said, I don't really think of a dive anymore in terms of Rec or Tech, it's just diving. One dive may require a single tank, minimum deco, no light, wetsuit whereas another dive might require a scooter (or two), stage bottle, deco bottle, lights, drysuits, reel, unified team, extensive dive planning, planned decompression etc...

For some idea of a timeline/experience progression

Backplate and Wing right after BOW along with weekly skills oriented dives and experience dives with local GUE instructors and divers.
Fundementals (Intro to Tech) at 7 months, 45 dives, single tank, wetsuit.
Drysuit the week after fundementals
AOW at 7-8 months and 65 dives.
Doubles at 10 months.
1st and 2nd Scooter dives (on a Gavin) at 14 months.
18 month hiatus (living in Korea)
Moved to Monterey, bought an X-scooter, 9 months later took technical training.

Jonathan

As an aside, my brother visited me this summer. Before coming out he got certified back in NJ. Here he is on dive 12 or so.

How long did you scuba dive before you went the tech route?
Nearly 30 years.​

What were your reasons for doing it?
I wanted to see things that required deeper/longer dives.​

Did you have some specific site or event that made you decide to become a tech diver?
No, but a lot of things nearly kept me from doing it: it can be frightfully expensive, in terms of gear, training and operating expenses required; it takes a lot of diving in order to learn and retain the skills that are required; it is far more dangerous than recreational diving.

But the first time I dropped down to 200 feet on a 150 year old wooden wreck I knew it was worth it...:)
30272108.DSC_3423.jpg

Just talked to a worker at Anywater Sport, minimum dives required is 50 cold water dives. Must take advance nitrox class and much more. However, I'll wait until after school, then after that I'll become DIR and tech and actually buy a drysuit and get a double tank. However, money is a huge factor so at the moment, no tech for me...for now. :)

Royston

PS: Also, want to have a body fat percent of only 4% so until that has been reach then I'll join DIR, tech, etc, whaever.

Just talked to a worker at Anywater Sport, minimum dives required is 50 cold water dives. Must take advance nitrox class and much more. However, I'll wait until after school, then after that I'll become DIR and tech and actually buy a drysuit and get a double tank. However, money is a huge factor so at the moment, no tech for me...for now. :)

Royston

PS: Also, want to have a body fat percent of only 4% so until that has been reach then I'll join DIR, tech, etc, whaever.

What is DIR?

What is DIR?

You need a kiss :10:

And here is your prize for being a stalker :D

:jaws: Just go into his mouth and there are some treasures there. Unfortunately its embedded in there so just stay inside there.

Ps. Oh yeah, and don't post anything or talk because the treasure will disappear into thin air. :wink:

19 years.

I've seen all the shallow wreaks and its time to go deeper.

Contrary to popular thought Tec diving is not some sort of logistical progression to do straight after OW. It can and does kill – and you need to have some serious rewards in mind before weighing up the additional risk.

Greater rewards than simply 'looking cool'. having ones ego massaged or being one higher in the 'pissing up the wall' cert competition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom