Question for Sherwood Wisdom owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobagoman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
For those who own a Sherwood Wisdom and the download software, what parameters are saved and what is the sample rate? e.g. temperature, time and depth sampled every 10 seconds...
Thanks

Sample rate is computer selectable at 60, 30 or 15 seconds.

Starting tank pressure is recorded as is tank end pressure. Depth and temp are recorded at each interval as are the number of units on the nitrogen and 02 bar graphs, the deco stop ceiling (if any), the no deco time remaining, and the max ascent rate for that interval.

The dive is also graphed and you can scroll through the graph and view the parameter at any particular point. You can also run the dive at accellerated speed and watch how things change.

Great, thanks for the info. That pretty much makes up my mind that I'm going to upgrade to the Wisdom. Have you been happy with yours?

DA Aquamaster:
Sample rate is computer selectable at 60, 30 or 15 seconds.

Starting tank pressure is recorded as is tank end pressure. Depth and temp are recorded at each interval as are the number of units on the nitrogen and 02 bar graphs, the deco stop ceiling (if any), the no deco time remaining, and the max ascent rate for that interval.

The dive is also graphed and you can scroll through the graph and view the parameter at any particular point. You can also run the dive at accellerated speed and watch how things change.

I have been very happy with BOTH of them, which is the only potential issue. My first Wisdom was a low serial numbered unit that died after about 80 dives. Sherwood replaced it immediately with no questions asked with a new Wisdom and a new 2 yr warranty. This one has 124 dives on it and is still operating normally with another year left on the warranty.

Our shop had 3 units that were ordered/purchased as soon as they were available and were consequently early production and all three eventually failed (and were all replaced by Sherwood with no delay or argument) but Sherwood indicates the overall failure rate has been about 1.5%. Our shop has had 3 more go out the door that have so far not returned and the 3 replacements are still going strong so at this point 3 of 9 have needed to be replaced.

I am not sure how often the average Wisdom owner dives or in what conditions, so I am not sure what useage is associated with the 1.5% failure rate or if our shop's poor record of 100% failure on the first three early production units sold was due in to the heavy use they saw, (all three went to hundred plus dives a year divers) the cold and deep water conditions they were used in, or some other environmental factor. For example, jumping in the water in 90 degree air temps and submerging to 40 degree bottom temps in under a minute may be something that may have unduly stressed the early units' electronics.

With my most recent Wisdom I had one odd dive that I down loaded that showed several very brief excursions to 250-330 ft but this appears to have been a software bug with the D/L software rather than with the computer, which functioned completely normally. I have noted one occasionally recurring bug in the D/L software, but it is relatively minor. If I download and add information to more than a half dozen or so dives, it sometimes likes to save the dive with a different dive site when you move on to view another dive (which you notice because it asks you if you want to save the change) The solution has been pretty easy with just closing the application and re-opening. And again, my D/L kit was one of the first kits shipped, so some bugs were not unexpected.

At this point, my only serious complaint about the Wisdom and it's D/L software is that it does not record tank pressure during the dive, just at the start and end of the dive. Having air consumption be recorded every 15, 30 or 60 seconds would allow for some nifty stuff in terms of being able to make some interesting observations about SAC rate/RMV at various points in the dive and to determine exactly how much air was required for ascent and safety/deco stops on each dive.

I love my Wisom, although it's my first dive computer, so I don't really have much to compare it to. Myself and 4 of my dive buddies all have them. To DA Aquamaster's point about failure rate, one of my buddies has developed an issue in that it has switched altitude automatically from Sea Level to Lev2. This appears to have happened to a couple of other divers on this board. He is having it replaced.

So in our case it is a 1 in 5 failure rate, however - they all have approximately 25-30 dives on them now, with the majority of dives in cold water (40 degrees F).

I have the download kit. It's a little too expensive imho, but I'm a geek so it's a must have :wink:. The standard software is adequate, but I have found a 3rd party application called Scubase http://www.scubase.net/ that I have purchased and I am quite pleased with it. It can import from the Wisdom database and allows a fair amount of customization.

I would recommend the Wisdom. User changeable battery was a big factor in my decision.

if u want i can try to find a way to email u one of my dive profiles so u can see how it saves it and how u can read it?

email me gabber93@yahoo.com
ill work on it so see if it is possible

haha
ok ill just post it on the net for the world to see

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/fishfood/w0isdom.jpg

ok ok i know dont make fun of my dive profile it was my first time on DPV.... and i never went up to fast... :)
email me and ill tell u what i like and dont like about them and the software

I have a new (June 08) Wisdom 2 - and I have a grand total of 2 dives on it. So far I love it. It clearly records the unsteady depth, the ascent speed violations, and massive air consumption for all to see.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom