Question for San Carlos divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Although I have been to San Carlos a few times fishing I will be making my first scuba trip in a few weeks. I had planned on taking a shorty and rash guard top along with my gear. However, after reading a few threads on another site about San Carlos it seems like the jellyfish are very prolific on the surface. Several people recommended full 0.5 - 1.0 mm full body suits as stings are quite common.

Is it a good idea to take one of these. I have spent so much on equipment lately and now this trip I hate to keep nickel and diming for more stuff but would not want to ruin a trip over another 50 bucks or so.

Thanks,

'bob

Bob, you don't say where you are located, but Desert Divers in Tucson goes down there every other weekend and they have an 800#. Call them and find out what last weekend was like. They probably have three people in the shop that dove last weekend.

don O

Was down there two weeks ago.
Weather was Humid
Water Temp was Bathing Suit warm.
Jellyfish while shore diving -- lots of them.
Jellyfish at the island -- not as many, but present.

If shore diving, you'll need a lycra skin. Me at the Island, I was in my bathing suit and a rash guard, but I am pretty tolerant. If you have any sensitivity to a Jellyfish sting, then I would wear a full lycra skin.

Hope that helps.

PS - We try to post trip reports when we come back from San Carlos. July trips will be posted soon. http://www.azdivers.com/trips.html

jcf

////

I definitely recommend a lycra. Jellies are pretty much everywhere in the San Carlos area from late June/early July through mid-September. And they can hurt! I still have a small mark from a sting from 1.5 months ago!

Check out this suit. With your 10% ScubaBoard discount, that's only $35 + shipping. I wear a skin under all of my full wetsuits. It makes it a lot easier to get the wetsuits on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom