Question for Pacific Northwest Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flatliner

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am brand new to diving. I am signed up to take both my Open Water and my Dry Suit classes this month. After reading the Dry Suit class material, I am feeling like I shouldn't be doing the Dry Suit class until I have had the chance to master some of the basic skills. The reason that I signed up for both is that I want to dive in the San Francisco and Seattle areas this Oct/Nov when I am there on business.

Here is my question, is it reasonable to dive in your area that time of year (once per day at the most) in a wetsuit? If I could I think I will save the Dry Suit class for later in the year.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Robert

Its do able... I do it all the time. I mean, I wouldnt reccommend doing LONG dives in a wetsuit in November... However, the only time Ive ever been cold diving in my wetsuit is getting out of the water when the wind is blowing.. or a few years ago getting out when it was snowing was pretty cold. I guess its kind of different for everyone, but I would say that yes, it is possible.

I haven't been diving in the winter here yet but have only been diving in a 7mm wetsuit here in the Seattle/Tacoma area. Water temps have been in the low/mid 50's pretty consistently and so far I have not been cold in the water once. Getting out of the water and taking off the wetsuit a bit (weather has been good so far) but nothing that would keep me from continuing with my wetsuit.

I've been told the water temp drops a bit during the winter but not much given what it takes to change the water temp of such a large amount of water. Unless it gets a lot colder I'm probably going to just stick with the wetsuit. Drysuits definitely have some other advantages of course beyond just whether you are cold in the water.

My 1/50th of a dollar.

Why not just dive with 7mm full + 7mm shortie? I do that in North East, from April - November. It's a bit cold, but I can do two to three dives a day easy.

Doing one dive a day only in Oct / Nov should be fine in a wetsuit (I'm assuming a 7mm farmer john). I did it last year diving multiple dives (I completed my certification in October in a 7mm farmer) but let me tell you the surface interval is no fun when you are wet and it's in the low 50's out.

HTH.

Bjorn

Now as a relatively new diver ( 2 years certified) I only dive wet. My checkout dive was done in 7 deg celcius water ( 44 farenheit) and the air temperature was (-10 celcius) 14 degrees. Sure you got a little cold by the end of a dive but once you were done changing in the middle of the snowdrifts you heat up pretty fast. You do what you have to do to dive. If you want to eb comfortable all year round go with a dry suit but you can easily manage 12 months of diving with a wetsuit. Just invest in a good thermos to fill your suit and boots with hot water. :coffee:

Diving in Pacific Northwest waters in a 7mm wetsuit is very common. In fact, the majority of divers I encounter along the Oregon and Washington coast use wetsuits and not drysuits. Drysuits are commonplace as well, but I generally see fewer of them being worn, possibly due to their significantly greater expense. I personally use a wetsuit as well and find it very comfortable, but I don't dive so deeply that suit compression becomes an issue. Also, I frequently dive in areas that offer a hot shower and a warm, dry room for surface intervals, so the wetsuit slides off easily and warm shelter awaits. However, even doing a dive without any facilities other than what you brought in the car, I've only found it slightly uncomfortable changing in and out of a wetsuit, even if it is freezing/raining/snowing outside. But that's just me. Some people think that 70°F water is cold and cringe at the thought of 47°F water, but with a proper wetsuit and a little guts, 47° can be quite balmy and plenty of fun.

Sadamune

Up here in Southeast Alaska, I would bet 95%+ of everyone that dives uses and learns in a drysuit. My OW class open water checkout dives were all done in drysuits, after learning a few skills in the pool first.

Brian

I dive wet and dive all year. Some of the best visibility is in the winter and it isn't too bad in the fall.

Bottom line? If you can get out of the wind between dives and your suit fits you'll be just fine.

'Quatch

Robert,

My experience is that it is not the dive that is the problem, it’s the surface interval that chills your body. In the summer I have done shallow diving for crabs in a 3-4 mil wetsuit on the Oregon coast. You need to be aware of your core temp getting chilled. You can get a little chilled on the surface and not be to aware if it because your body acclimates, but when you re-enter the water you have a greater potential for cramps. I know people that have been diving in the NW for 20 years in wetsuits with out a problem. This is especially true if you are not doing multiple dives.
As for me I am ordering a USIA drysuit for this winter. If nothing else it will be a lot easier to get in and out of. :D :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom