Question for long hose users...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as long as that pocket is on my right side where the cannister light is supposed to go, the system has worked /w/ single steel '72s and double Al80s. Of course, if one is solo (which i tend to be about 65% of the time, when hunting or photographing), then the long hose would seem to be downright superfluous. Still, i don't find it to be the least bit of an inconvenience.

Hey nitrox, in lieu of Tony Blair, do you want the Governor of California? He's guaranteed to put yer lights out : D

Originally posted by detroit diver
Looks like MOST people voted for Tony Blair!!!

NO!!

58% (or so) voted,

He got about 40% of the votes cast,

Only 23% of the eligible people voted for him!

Jon T

PS - we threw out the lying cheating conservatives to get ..... Tony Blair, a lying cheating conservative.... who has just continued doing exactly what the conservatives were doing..... Lying and cheating

Originally posted by detroit diver
Nitrox,

How do you re-stow it when you're not using it? It seems like you could not do this yourself underwater without removing your entire rig (kit, for those over the pond). That's not simple at all.

Having read Nitrox's method, as someone that doesn't like the DIR routing I think I will try his method for diving doubles. As for re-stowing it, as a general rule, IF I have had to unstow it - surely the dive is over and it is time to head back up???

(if you do need to re-stow it - sure - it can go back DIR if you want to)

Jon T

some are missing the point of why you should be able to
re-stow the hose.

not ALL situations that require you to donate the long hose will also require you to terminate the dive. so, you donate,
get the situation under control and your buddy is back on
his/her gas supply but as a team you continue the dive.

OOPS ... you have a freaking loop of LP hanging around as
an entanglement hazard and you CANNOT restow it.

But hey, "do whatever works for you".

GM, i think you missed turnerjd's point a little itsy teeny weeny bit....

who's to say that an extracted bungeed hose cannot be wrapped around the neck once it has been extracted ? nothing wrong in it *per se*, thus turnerjd's point/suggestion is perfectly valid.

----

please note that the 'you' in the text below does not mean GM, but rather, the generic 'you' - the reader of this post.

*however*, going back to the original issue, here's my (admittedly newbie)'s take on that question - applying what *I* see in the *hogarthian* rig and the DIR philosophy. (incidentally, it is sometimes a bloody pain to separate the DIR philosophy from the DIR dogma, but never mind that).

1) let's assume that one stows that long hose in a bungee on the cylinder. let's also assume that this is a valid stowage config;
2) let's assume that the hose *will* be donated at *some* point in time;
3) let's assume that re-stowing that hose under the bungee is a pain in your favourite extremity, and that said re-stowing is very difficult to accomplish without your buddy's help;
4) let's assume that having your buddy re-stow your hose for *you* is *not* the best option - you dont see it, you dont know how well its stowed, etc etc..;
5) so... let's assume that based on (4) and (5), one decides to wrap the hose after a donation incident occurs.

now ... watch closely :) :

you (the donor in the above scenario) *mentally own* (use/practice/think about/whatever) both a "bungee bind" and a "neck wrap" hose config. you *normally* do the bungee bind, but you *allow* for the *possibility* of doing the neck wrap should the circumstances warrant it.

effectively, you end up having *two* distinct hose configurations - which, means that you have to either -

a) among other things, *train* and *think* about *which* config you are using *at the moment* when you donate the hose, or
b) get used to the bungee bind, and forget about the neck wrap unles you happen to donate your hose.. *BUT!* this option *might* (just might) one day hit you in a critical situation whereupon your hose being not where you are *used to it* will be that very tiny straw that breaks someone's back...

so... with this in mind, wouldn't it be better to have only *one* configuration, with the damn hose around your neck *in the first place* ? in the place where it will *always* be, in absolutely every situation, except for those times that someone else is breathing off it ?

yes/no/maybe?

flame away, i got my asbestos underpants on me today :)

Warhammer, forget all the BS and simply do as Detroit Diver described. It's so frickin' easy and comfortable it's rediculous. Just remember to don your secondary around your neck first then route the long hose.

Mike

Actually L_D, you don't have to lose the snorkel, it just makes it a lot easier. As you know, you just have to dip your head a LOT further to clear the snorkel.

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi

some are missing the point of why you should be able to
re-stow the hose.

the only time i remove all two metres is during penetration!!( sorry ladys!!!) or when its ripped from its home by a PADI puppy !!! in which case thats what the octo's for which is of course is positioned to be reachable by mouth alone!!!

I have to admit, I was considering dumping my snorkel anyway, depending on the dive. I find that I am frequently mistaking my snorkel for my BC inflator while underwater. Combine that with the addition of the long hose (still to come -- won't be adding this until after I come back from my vacation in Bermuda in a few weeks).....

So DD -- you don't find that the snorkel gets in the way?

Back
Top Bottom