Question for long hose users...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warhammer

Reaction score
I have a question concerning the DIR routing of the long hose. According to the DIR standard, that hose goes down your right side, under your canister light, across your chest to the left side, around the back of your neck and into your mouth. Correct? Ok, what happens if you don't have a canister light? Or say your doing a daytime no-pentration open water dive and don't need the canister light? Then where does the hose go?

Warhammer,

I use the 7 foot hose and slip it under my knife pocket which is on my waist harness. My son also uses the long hose and tucks it in the waist harness. You don't even notice after a while.

Warhammer,

I tried this set-up in the pool with no canister light and no knife pocket. The hose stayed on my right hip and across my chest without moving around or being in the way. It's one of those things that is hard to envision or feel comfortable about until you try it in the water. Sames thing with the "how easy is it to donate the primary when the hose is wrapped around your neck". Trying this set-up in the water is truly a revelation.

i route my 7 footer under a Dive Rite pocket with a little bit of lead in it. Before that, i had stuffed it in the belt portion of my harness, but i found that when doing OOA drills, it took a bit of pulling to get the hose out of the harness. I don't know if the Dive Rite pocket with the weight in it is DIR although, one of these days Santa Claus will deliver an EE Pro 6 :)

hi chaps heres my quids worth!!
i look at it this way, firstly forget DIR and do what works for you ! training associations give you ideas and opinions sure !! but at the end of the day if it dosnt work for you try somthing else!! my hose comes off the first stage on the right handside of the manifold in a down ward fashion the excess is then tucked down between my twin 7ltr set and what i need comes over the top of the wing under my right arm and in the mouth!!, and when i want the rest i simply pull firmly and there it is! simple!!! i tend to use the KISS rule (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) at the end of the day guys you dont have to religiously stick to somone elses ideas so if what they say dont work IMPROVISE!!!

Nitrox,

How do you re-stow it when you're not using it? It seems like you could not do this yourself underwater without removing your entire rig (kit, for those over the pond). That's not simple at all.

And what if you're not diving doubles? Now you've got a totally different set-up.

The DIR setup, on the other hand doesn't run into the problems mentioned above. It works in every situation without modification. The proponents of DIR are the most KISS oriented people out there. They advocate for simplicity and consistency in every aspect of diving. You know your equipment and also your buddy's, because you're both diving the same style. And DIR goes way beyond the rig setup.

For me, the DIR method is well thought out, and makes total sense in all situations.

personally i do what works for me and am merely suggesting you do the same! the problem of re stowing the hose is not a problem and is easilly done with one hand!!
and i always wear twins so nothing else comes into the equation!!,not even a buddy !! as most of my diving is done solo, and if i am paired up the people i dive with are all self sufficient anyway!! i dont beleive in associations telling you how to enter the water or how to use or wear
your kit!! yeah take their advice but if it dont work figure somthing out yourself and as long as you and your buddy( if applicable) are happy with it well wheres the problem?? just because someone writes it it dosnt mean its
gospel and your not allowed to do it another way!!.

IN THE UK ANYONE CAN VOTE FOR TONY BLAIR BUT WOULD HAVE TO BE A FOOL TO DO SO!!! UP THE UKIP

Looks like MOST people voted for Tony Blair!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom