Question for LBTS and shore diving regulars......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Davy J

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Coming down from Tampa and going to be in Fort Lauderdale this weekend. The plan is/was to shore dive LBTS on Sunday morning.

The marine forecast for Friday thru Sunday is east winds 12-15 knots with occasional higher gusts. I think I know the answer, but will this make shore diving unpleasant? Visibility bad?

We might go to BHB, but the high tide at 8:10am might make us rethink that idea.

if it is as they say...an out of the east wind makes the shore waters rough...however most of us wait to see what the day brings...Sunday is my beach diving day also.... so were on a standby mode at this point....it's only Wednesday right now.

Should be about the same on Sat and Sunday but I usually check this site before I go.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Surf Forecast and Surf Report

If you make it out to the Drop off reef(I believe the 2nd main reef in LBTS), roughly 400-500 yards out, vis is never bad.. NorthEast winds are the most challenging ( up to 14-15mph winds is diveable for me; more than that and you're in for some serious swimming).

Should be about the same on Sat and Sunday but I usually check this site before I go.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Surf Forecast and Surf Report

If you make it out to the Drop off reef(I believe the 2nd main reef in LBTS), roughly 400-500 yards out, vis is never bad.. NorthEast winds are the most challenging ( up to 14-15mph winds is diveable for me; more than that and you're in for some serious swimming).

I've never figgered out what reef number I was looking at out there. Also had no idea that the vis would never be bad at a certain distance out. How far out is this reef, say, relative to the length of the pier? Say, two lengths of the pier, something like that? What's the depth at this 2nd main reef? TIA

There are three reefs that run parallel to shore. The first one is in about 25-28fsw. The second one is about 45-60fsw, and the third starts in the 90fsw range. Beach diving, you are actually diving the inner reef of the first reef, with the first reef out at the mooring balls. Depending you where you go, one normally dives the first or second sections of the first reef.

Good luck to the OP, it looked a bit windy and I decided to sleep in over fighting the surf.

We came, we looked, we drank beer instead....

Will give it another try tomorrow morning.

Good luck! It's a work day, probably will be better! LOL

There are three reefs that run parallel to shore. The first one is in about 25-28fsw. The second one is about 45-60fsw, and the third starts in the 90fsw range. Beach diving, you are actually diving the inner reef of the first reef, with the first reef out at the mooring balls. Depending you where you go, one normally dives the first or second sections of the first reef.

Good luck to the OP, it looked a bit windy and I decided to sleep in over fighting the surf.

I remain ignorant.

Oh, if it's windy, you might consider driving up to Blue Heron Bridge. Tomorrows High tide is 9:04 am.. get in the water about an hour before high tide, and you can get a 2 hr dive in.

I've never figgered out what reef number I was looking at out there. Also had no idea that the vis would never be bad at a certain distance out. How far out is this reef, say, relative to the length of the pier? Say, two lengths of the pier, something like that? What's the depth at this 2nd main reef? TIA

Not sure if you found out by diving but it's roughly 1 1/2 to 2 lengths of the pier. The depth is 15 to 25f (there's markers/buoys where the Drop Off is so you can't miss it). I've dived this location 10+ times so far and even if vis is bad by the patch reefs,(before the drop off), it's usually 20+ at the Drop Off. There's a bit of a surge motion from the outer reefs so it keeps the water relatively clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom