Trip Report Lauderdale by the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pipehorse

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Let me preface this by noting until late 2014 I lived in Parkland, Florida (north Broward County). Lauderdale by the Sea was 25 minute drive so it was my go to shore dive. I have done well over a 1000 REEF surveys there. I would occasionally venture up to BHB, but it was 50 minute drive so not that often. In late 2014 we moved to Palm Beach Gardens (north Palm Beach County). BHB is now a 25 minute drive, and LBTS is a 50 minute drive. So, I dive BHB far more frequently now than LBTS, even though I prefer LBTS.

Went to LBTS for diving yesterday. The most popular spot for parking to do LBTS is Datura Ave, I parked one block further south at Hibiscus Avenue. Arrived at 0700 and entered the water at 0729. Sea was very calm with wave height less than 1 foot because of a westerly wind. Visibility was 50 feet, and sea temp was 80f. While swimming directly to the first reef I noticed there was a slight current to the north (very common for this sight). When I reached the first reef I hung a right heading south against the current. Worked my way to eastern side of the first reef and after an hour, crossed the sand patch to the second reef, all the while still heading south staying near the sand/reef interface of the second reef. About 100 minutes into the dive I reversed direction, heading north with the current on the second reef zig zagging back and forth for a width of about 25 yards. 140 minutes later I turned back to the west at a location that would bring me on to the beach where I started. Exited the water after 170 minutes (there is a three hour time limit on the parking there). Swam along with a Hawksbill Turtle for two minutes. Observed a trio of Porcupinefish, one seemed to have some sought of balance problem. Also I took several images of cylindrical objects, that seem to be made of concrete. These have been there for at least the 26 years I have been diving the site. There has to be at least a dozen of these spread over a width of .5 miles from the beach to length of at least a mile south of from the pier. I am not sure exactly what the purpose of these objects was/is. During WWII Fort Lauderdale Airport was a naval air station. I know that the pilots used the Copenhagen for training as target practice, as part of its hull was still above the waterline at the time. Perhaps these concrete cylinders were dummy torpedos or bombs, but they seem a little to big to have been practical for that purpose. Respectively, Juvenile Spotted Trunkfish, Large Gorgonian, Large Queen Conch, Cylinder Object 1, Cylinder Object 2, Cylinder Object 3 (broken in Half), Seminole Gobies, Staghorn Coral, Hawksbill Turtle Video, and Porcupinefish Video.
05-07-22 Juvenile Spotted Trunkfish.jpeg
05-07-22 Large Gorgonian.jpeg
05-07-22 Large Queen Conch.jpeg
05-07-22 Object1.jpeg
05-07-22 Object3.jpeg
05-07-22 Object4.jpeg
05-07-22 Seminole Gobies.jpeg
05-07-22 Staghorn Coral.jpeg

Very nice thnx for posting

Great pictures.
Those concrete cylinders make great waypoints, thats how I nav there. No clue what their oroginal purpose was.

There is all day parking at the lot on a1a North of Datura for those that don't know.

Good to know! The parking is the one reason I've not yet dived LBTS. I'm a solo diver typically and cannot easily drop off gear and go park. If there is decent, all-day parking nearby, I just might have to get over there this summer when we experience some of our flat-calm days.

Great report @Pipehorse!

Great pictures! Are these conditions pretty normal for the shore dives there?
My wife and I will be spending a week down in LBTS in mid July and I'm wondering what I can expect, conditions wise.

Great pictures! Are these conditions pretty normal for the shore dives there?
My wife and I will be spending a week down in LBTS in mid July and I'm wondering what I can expect, conditions wise.
Great avatar, that whole scene of the movie made me lmao. Nothing is guaranteed, but yes generally those are the kind of conditions you can expect in July.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom