Trip Report Lauderdale by the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pipehorse

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I didn't feel like dealing with the crowd that I knew would be at BHB today, so I made the trek down to LBTS instead. In the past when I was going to LBTS I would get up early 0530ish so I could be there by 0630 to get a good parking spot at Datura Ave. They have a freshwater spigot in addition to a shower, which is nice for rinsing off gear. However I have a water tank with a pump installed in the back of my truck so I am no longer tethered to Datura Ave when doing LBTS, there are alternative places to park north and south of Datura with far less traffic and crowding. So I parked one block south today, after arriving 0800 instead of 0630. Upon observing the sea condition I thought it rather hopeful of me not to have checked the wind report. Waves were in the 2-4 ft range, thusly the surf zone was fairly riled up. It looked disgusting too, large amounts of Sargassum being churned up over and over turned the first 30 feet of water from the beach into a disgusting muddy brown color. Not to despair, I have seen LBTS in this condition before. With any luck visibility might be good on the second reef.

I geared up and entered the water at 0825. Normally at LBTS I do not surface swim at all, I start my dive from 5ft and do all my swimming underwater. I changed that for today, did a surface swim out about 100ft to get clear of the disgusting brown water. Upon descending visibility was less than 5ft. Upon reaching the first reef visibility improved to less than 10ft. Continued swimming due east across the first reef, at eastern most part of 1st reef at the sand interface visibility improved drastically to 35ft, continued on to the second reef, except for coming and going I spent the 140 minute dive on the second reef with 35ft of viz. Sea temp was 86f. There was little to no current so I headed south, sticking close to west side of the reef. Nurse sharks are common at LBTS but they are usually on the smaller side. Saw one today that had to be 7ft long, unfortunately no image. The other standout today was a pair Caribbean Reef Squid. Often to hover in the vicinity of Gorgonians for cover and camouflage. Sometimes they are curious and allow a close approach. Sometimes they will even face towards you, but today they were only allowing a profile view. After heading south for fifty minutes I crossed the reef and headed north along the eastern part of the second reef. Just before heading west to return to the beach I ran across what I refer as the "horde". The horde is a large school of Blue Tangs, Doctorfish, and Surgeonfish moving along the reef hovering up algae. I think it is done as away to overwhelm smaller algae patch farmers like Threespot Damsel Fish, and Bicolor Damselfish. Also perhaps as away overcome Sergeant Majors at one their nest sites. I was glad I decided make the dive due to the decent viz on the second reef. Respectively, Blue Stripe Grunt, Dog Snapper, Juvenile Queen Angelfish, Caribbean Reef Squid, Sea Fan, Spanish Grunt with Cesar Grunt, Squid video, and Horde Video.
07-16-22 Blue Stripe Grunts.jpeg
07-16-22 Dog Snapper.jpeg
07-16-22 Juve Queen Angelfish.jpeg
07-16-22 Reef Squid.jpeg
07-16-22 Sea Fan.jpeg
07-16-22 Spanish Grunt and Ceasar's Grunt.jpeg

Nice pics. Some very underrated diving in that area. Everyone just keeps driving and goes down to the Keys.

At least, you got straight into the water. But it looks like if I go to Dania erojacks these days, I'd have to hike for half a mile over a thick Sargasso carpet...

thnx for posting

Thx for posting! I’ve really got to fit in a shore dive in that area one of these days.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom