(Question for Instructors)Time in confined water OWD course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they don't want the instructor paying attention to filming versus paying attention to the students and having greater situational awareness. I completely agree with that position. Students have died in courses while the instructor is busy being a videographer versus instructor.
Which is why you either have 2-3 stationary cameras around the training space or you have an assistant (not a DM) filming if the space is adequate enough to support another diver.

they don't want the instructor paying attention to filming versus paying attention to the students and having greater situational awareness. I completely agree with that position. Students have died in courses while the instructor is busy being a videographer versus instructor.
There is a difference between an instructor trying to make a nice video filing sea life and not paying attention and having a non teaching assistant taking video of skills.

I’ve been told by a number of instructor, including CDs, that any film can be used against you. Just what are you doing where that would be a problem? I feel that video would help defend me. I don’t see UTD or RAID so much against video.

There is a difference between an instructor trying to make a nice video filing sea life and not paying attention and having a non teaching assistant taking video of skills.

I’ve been told by a number of instructor, including CDs, that any film can be used against you. Just what are you doing where that would be a problem? I feel that video would help defend me. I don’t see UTD or RAID so much against video.
Really? I am only aware of the concern of the instructor being busy doing video, and some agencies standards reflect that.(and I agree with, only exception a hands free mask/helmet mounted type camera) I was not aware that some are afraid of ANY video for liability reasons. If that is the case, not only should every class of theirs be videoed by someone but they need to do some soul searching about the quality of their class if that is what they worry about.

Really? I am only aware of the concern of the instructor being busy doing video, and some agencies standards reflect that.(and I agree with, only exception a hands free mask/helmet mounted type camera) I was not aware that some are afraid of ANY video for liability reasons. If that is the case, not only should every class of theirs be videoed by someone but they need to do some soul searching about the quality of their class if that is what they worry about.
Unfortunately really from 4 individuals, including 2 CDs from different shops.

Now all agencies require that an instructor is always in control. Makes complete sense. Having a camera that must be held in one or both hands are an obvious impediment to responding to a problem. Common sense, right? A mask mounted camera presents no such impediment. Same with a tripod mounted one. Or one being used by a non-CA.

Video is a valuable performance teaching tool. That shouldn’t be an argument and it’s usage should be allowed in ways that do not introduce any impediments to responding to problems. This means that the instructor NEVER looks through a viewfinder. Common sense.

If I am using video in debriefing students, and I have someone doing the shooting, they are assisting me with the class. I would not count any assistant who is shooting towards ratios, because it would be stupid and irresponsible to do so.

You seem to be confusing the use of the term assistant for ratios with using an assistant that does not count towards ratios.
not confusing it - you said assistant. the term assistant means something in a legal way. if you have a bystander filming that is not performing assistant duties then that's cool

not confusing it - you said assistant. the term assistant means something in a legal way. if you have a bystander filming that is not performing assistant duties then that's cool
Can you please cite a source for that assertion that assistant "means something in a legal way"?

In fact when it come to standards, that is why you see terms like "certified assistant" (PADI) because you can have uncertified assistants (thus not counting towards ratios etc).

Someone in the water filming my students for me is assisting me, thus they are my assistant.

Can you please cite a source for that assertion that assistant "means something in a legal way"?

In fact when it come to standards, that is why you see terms like "certified assistant" (PADI) because you can have uncertified assistants (thus not counting towards ratios etc).

Someone in the water filming my students for me is assisting me, thus they are my assistant.
call it what you want. Padi only recognizes the term "certified assistant" and has defined duties for them. I had a parent once taking photos of his kids and the rest of the class during a class. I would never consider confusing things by stating he was assisting.

call it what you want. Padi only recognizes the term "certified assistant" and has defined duties for them. I had a parent once taking photos of his kids and the rest of the class during a class. I would never consider confusing things by stating he was assisting.
A parent taking pics of his kid is not the same as someone taking video of students doing skills for he sake of visual feedback.

I wasn't aware that PADI defined things in a "legal way" Regardless, I think if you read PADI standards they use the term "certified assistant" , the use of certified matters and is not exclusionary to having non certified as long as they do not get used for ratios, dive safety or instructing.

We teach six confined water sessions (including snorkelling). With an average class of 4-6 divers, each session takes between 3-4 hours, including dive briefings and debriefings. Two hours for ALL 5 sessions? No way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom