Question for HOG users ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the lowest temperature that you have used your sealed hog regulator in? I have an Apeks XTX 50 that I purchased for cold water diving and would like to purchase a second regulator that can handle similar cold / ice conditions. I plan to dive the Great Lakes as well as Northern Canada and Maine during extreme winters and snow conditions. If you guys could share your Hog experience in cold waters that would be great. Thanks.

I've dove the environmentally sealed HOG D1 reg in coastal Maine temperatures (probably March-November). No complaints or incidence of a free flow or freeze up.

You might not want to be diving ice in "extreme winters and snow conditions" - we usually reserve ice dives for the best winter days and the great lakes is a challenge in the off season as boats don't run (lack of crowds to fill boats and usually bad surface conditions if there's any weather).

What is the lowest temperature that you have used your sealed hog regulator in? I have an Apeks XTX 50 that I purchased for cold water diving and would like to purchase a second regulator that can handle similar cold / ice conditions. I plan to dive the Great Lakes as well as Northern Canada and Maine during extreme winters and snow conditions. If you guys could share your Hog experience in cold waters that would be great. Thanks.
I dove mine last January. The air temp per dive was five above I don't remember the bottom temp but the surface had a nice crisp light ice layer when I surfaced so I know it was cold. But no issue of free flow or icing Solid rigs from my experience

Spend lots of time in mid 40* water.

Been in 31* water twice. Each was on our yearly ice training. The fire department cut though almost 2' of ice so we could access the water...... GF was with me.

Playing victim for the fire department and SAR to "rescue" me.
11313_148695235293871_115862004_n.jpg

Here is what it looks like from the underside.
857184_148696131960448_1944593432_o.jpg

Sorry it would not let me direct link the pics from my FB

Used the D1 for Great Lakes, wreck diving several times w/o any problems..... Used to use Apeks DS4, DST w/XTX50's w/o any problems but like the HOG's better......Have a rebuilt and tested DS4 w/XTX50 for sale........

I've been diving on the Hume in Lake Michigan 150' 39 degrees with my D1 set up I have since gone to a D2 and the coldest I've taken that one is 44 degrees so far, but I intend on using it for ice diving.

Used the D1 for Great Lakes, wreck diving several times w/o any problems..... Used to use Apeks DS4, DST w/XTX50's w/o any problems but like the HOG's better......Have a rebuilt and tested DS4 w/XTX50 for sale........

What about the HOG's do you like better? Cheers.

My avatar. Water temp 36. Air temp that day was about 20 degrees f. Also have had them in 38 degree water using 21/28 helitrox at 160 feet in Lake Erie.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

How much for ds4/xtx50?

I have used HOG D1 First Stages/HOG D2 second stages many times in 35f-38f degree water. No issues. I do have my 2nd stages slightly de-tuned and I don't breathe off my regs until I'm in the water in the winter.

The key to making sure your regulators don't malfunction is don't pre-breathe them on the surface when temperatures are below freezing. Air from your lungs has moisture that can freeze valve. Keep regulators warm and dry until ready to use (e.g. don't leave them outside)

HOG design is very similar to Apeks XTX50 so I imagine their performance in cold water will be around the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom