Question for dry suit wearers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've heard that the dry suits have silicon seals at the wrists, neck and ankles. My prosthetic (below knee, right) uses a suction system of attachment. A 3mm silicon liner rolls on against my skin and stays attached by friction. My leg goes inside of the carbon fiber socket, and then a 3mm thick silicon sleeve rolls up. This sleeve creates an airtight seal around the socket and against my skin above the internal liner.

So - skin,silicon liner, carbon fiber socket, silicon sleeve creating an airtight seal and a one way air valve expulsing the air, and not letting it back in.

On land, you could rip my leg out of socket before it let go. Underwater, I can get about 45-60 minutes before the water has worked its way under the outside silicon sleeve and then under the inside silicon liner - once this happens, no friction grip, no seal, more water pours in and everything starts sliding off.

I was wondering if any of the dry suit divers might have a suggestion as to how to get this to seal better against my skin?

Drysuits have silicon seals at the wrists and neck only (all the ones I've ever seen or worn). Thus, you don't have to worry about your prosthetic, unless you spring a leak somewhere else.

Edit: Never mind; I misunderstood the question.

Last edited:
water?????in a drysuit???????
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

wrist seals for you are no problem and if you get a suit with booties attached-problem solved!
a little perspiration shouldn't cause it to loosen

enjoy the dry side!!!!
have fun
yaeg

Yep, drysuits may have seals of silicone, latex, or neoprene, but most drysuits have them only at the wrists and neck, and have attached feet. There are tropical drysuits available that have ankle seals but most drysuits have attached socks.

Wait - let's start over. I don't wear a dry suit at all - not even a wetsuit. I need to figure out a way to make the silicon liner and sleeve where it seals against my skin "more" watertight if its possible.

I don't think that the OP is asking if his prosthetic leg would fit and work within a drysuit, but asking for advice in the sealing system. Not that I know the answer but I can clarify the OP's question.

He want's to know how better to create the seal between the different parts of his leg. The reason why he is talking about drysuits is because they use silicon seals, similar to drysuit, and he figures that drysuit users have so tips to create better seals.

Apologies if you are a female, I just don't feel like fixing it on my iPhone :)

Beaten to it by the OP :wink:

I think the OP is asking about how to keep the seal on his prosthetic. maybe a wet suit that is real snug around the prosthetic seal area or see if the sylicone seal on the prosthetic could be lengthened to cover a larger area.

I haven't seen a drysuit with ankel seal although I heard it exist. So why not go for one that has socks or turbo sole? No need ot worry about seal in leg area.

Maybe find some medical based adhesive that is not water soluable. Thin it down of course.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

I usually have a latexseal on my wristseals, but I assume the function is the same.
What I find is that anything between the seal and skin that is larger than the thinnest hair WILL cause a leak.
Creases in the seal will also cause leaks.
I would also assume that sweat building up between the seals could over time cause a leak. (However, as waters in Norway are less than 16C at anytime, sweat is not a very big issue...)
What happens on a really sunny, warm day on land? Will sweat cause it to slip?

Back
Top Bottom