Question for BP/Wings users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead

Contributor
Reaction score
Like many people looking for a new BC, I'm considering going with a Halcyon rig, especially after reading a mountain of glowing comments here on the board. But, like many people, I've got some reservations in buying a system so different from what I've been used to.

My question is based on the type of diver that I am [Cold Water, Recreational, single-tank (steel), drysuit], and here's the question:

Do any Halcyon/BP/Wings users dive primarily recreationally, using singles?

The reason I ask is that I can see myself getting into somewhat technical diving in the future - probably some limited wreck-diving since we don't have caves in Puget Sound - but I don't want a setup that's not practical (i.e. comfortable and easy to use) for what I'm going to use it for primarily. Also, I'm wondering if all of the gung-ho BP/Wings supporters are all hardcore tech-divers, which I'm not.

Please let me know your experience and opinions (no problem there, right?) :wink:

Thanks!

P.S. For Boat Diving, is a BP/Wing setup easy to use in regard to swapping tanks, and getting in and out of the BC in tight quarters?

Hi, my name is Joel. I am a single tank, fish-watching, recreational diver, and I wear a bp/wing. It all started so simple. First it was a black skirted mask. Next thing I know, I look like a walking, swimming, advert for Dive Rite, OMS and Halcyon. Everyone seems to look at me strange, but the sunnies and crappie don't seem to care.

Back to the point, I wear one because I couldn't stand all of the "stuff" associated with other BCs. I had a Zeagle Tech for a bit and it drove me up a wall. The bp/wing is just a lot less mess to account for. The only vaguely technical diving I do is crawling under the ice. Other than that, show me the fish.

Most all of my diving is local. That pretty much means colder water and a drysuit. The only real problem is if the harness is not set up correctly. I know two people who use quick disconnects at the shoulders because they can't get the harness off easily with a drysuit. I use drygloves with rings and I don't have any problems with getting the harness off. So, if the harness is not sized correctly I can see where a recreational diver would be turned off by a setup that doesn't necessarily make sense for the diving that they do.

JoelW

So far I am a singles wearing newbie diver who loves the bp/wings. I too have the "coming to be prerequisite scubaboard zeagle product that is soon to be on ebay".

The bp is perfect for singles. It also packs much, much smaller so is perfect for travel.

I see no reason for any padding or whatnot, the straight bp is very comfy, much of scuba is counter intuitive from what I have seen.

If set up correctly the bp harness can be taken off in a couple seconds, just undo the buckle and shrug a bit and the rig comes off or the over the head works also. Only possible issue would be a bungee necklace with a reg on it or a weight belt on the outside of the harness.

I usually wear my weight belt on the inside of the harness.

Tommy

One of our really good BP/Wing users, Uncle Pug, is in your area (Seattle). And I'm sure he'd be happy to sit with ya and answer your questions.

Look for him on this board or send him a Private Message (the -msg- button)

I'm primarily a recreational diver, although I am getting into cave diving. I use a Halcyon wing on every dive I do. I have both a 36lb and a 55 lb wing. Whether it be a 20 or a 120 foot dive, I use a BP/wing and same gear configuration. I went to the BP/wing two years ago and will not use anything else. I find it very comfortable and by using the BP and steel tank, I was able to take weight off my belt, which has really improved my trim.

My buddy is a technical diver and dives recreationally with me. He too uses a BP/wing on every dive. He even took his BP/wing when we went to Cayman. He got quite a few strange looks, but if it works, who cares.

Stacey

The BP and wing works superbly for any type of diving. I've used the same setup for pool work, diving in Hawaii, ice diving, deep wrecks, singles, and doubles. It simply can't be beat for adaptability, simplicity, and efficiency. I think Halcyon has the best wing out there, but I would recommend the Fred T plate to save some money.

Get with UP, maybe he'll let you dive with one :wink:.

Mike

Thanks a lot for the input so far. I'm about 90% sold on the system, and knowing that others are happily diving a Halcyon system helps reassure me quite a bit.

My next big decision is whether to buy the rig through my LDS or via mail-order from another shop I've found. I'd like to go with my LDS on this one, especially since they could probably take some guesswork out of the fitting, but the price difference is over $150.00.

That's a hard pill for me to swallow.

This is what both shops quoted me on:
Stainless Steel Backplate
Harness w/hardware - (pre rigged for mail order, custom @ LDS)
36lb Pioneer wings w/ cam straps
Backplate cover
15lb ACB weight system

Any thoughts on whether the fitting process (or anything else) justifies the extra dough?

GearHead,

Will you need the 15lb ACB? I managed to get my weight requirements down from 28lb using a jacket BC to 14lb using a SS backplate, simply by swapping from an AL 80 to a 95 LP steel tank. I find the 10lb ACB+ is more than adequate using a 7mm wetsuit. I'm 6'3", 215lb. Only thing is the quoted sizes are for hard weights - the soft pellet weights are bulkier, eg I can only fit 7lb or soft weight into the 10lb pocket.

Reason I'm suggesting this is that the 10lb ACB+ is about $50 cheaper than the 15lb ACB. Only problem is that the 10lb ACB+ doesn't allow the easy use of a canister light (unless you just replace one pocket with the canister light itself!).

Ben

Thanks for the tip, Ben. My weight needs are definitely greater than yours. With an LP 95 steel tank, I'm using 30 lbs to stay down with my Jacket BC. I'm hoping to be able to whittle that down to about 20-22lbs of pocket weight once I'm used to the rig, but as you said, I wouldn't be able to get that much soft weight into the ACB+ system. I'd rather not pay the extra 50 bucks, but I ended up getting such a great deal on the system ($611.00 total) that it was worth it for me. Plus, if I can ever scratch together enough for a canister light, I'll have the easy solution to mounting it. I appreciate the tip, though.

So yeah, I did end up placing the order, and I'm hoping to receive the package at my office next week. I love the anticipation of big FedEx packages!!:D

By the way, Joel, would you recommend your dryglove system? I've got "the other kind" currently and it's my least favorite part of my exposure system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom