Question about used gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an opportunity to buy some used gear including a BC, a Dacor Pacer Regulator, and an AMF Swimaster reg at a fairly low price.

I know Dacor is no more, and I'm assuming AMF is too since I've never heard of them. A google search yields the AMF as a decent reg but not one cheaply maintained.

I was thinking I might purchase these and replace my Oceanic Omega octo with one of the regs and perhaps have some extra hoses around as well. The BC is strictly a "parts purchase".

Can anyone provide me some more information on these regs? Is it worth it to buy these regs and maintain them myself? Asking price for the lot is $50.

EDIT: To be clear, this is $50 for the BC and both sets of regs, not $50 each. That makes the regs with SPG, hoses, 1st & 2nd stage about $18 each??? If it's not really worth that price I probably won't even bother as I also have about a 30 minute drive to retrieve them...

2nd EDIT: Here's the link with some pics... I'm going to email the seller for more info about models for the regs.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/2319655569.html

Last edited:
Depending on which Pacer it is, you may can get non Dacor first stage parts that will fit, the second stage is no problem at all, the diaphram (likely OK), LP seat and exhaust are all common sized parts. The AMF/Voit reg can be serviced using various Mares and Aqualung parts. You will not likely be able to get an "official" kit for it and it's unlikely a shop will service it but it is fairly easy to do and no more expensive than any other reg.

IMO- $50 is on the high side unless you have something special, $25 is more like it.

Photos or at least model numbers will help a lot.

Don't do it! The hoses are old, everything else is just junk compared to what you can get today brand new for a reasonable price with plenty of service parts and places to service it available.

Think HOG regs, and others. Scubatoys and Dive Right In Scuba have great prices and service and can help you acquire gear. There is nothing wrong with buying used, as most of my gear is. You just need to know what you are getting.

If the Pacers are XLB's, then the $50 would net you very nice metal, balanced (one of only 2 Pacers to ever be balanced, the XLP being the other - but that one's plastic) 2nd stages.

Otherwise, $50 is a bit too much to pay for an unbalanced 2nd stage.

Just as an fyi, the "Totally Balanced" Pacers aren't balanced 2nd stages. Only the XLB's and XLP's.

Don't do it! The hoses are old, everything else is just junk compared to what you can get today brand new for a reasonable price with plenty of service parts and places to service it available.

Think HOG regs, and others. Scubatoys and Dive Right In Scuba have great prices and service and can help you acquire gear. There is nothing wrong with buying used, as most of my gear is. You just need to know what you are getting.

Peter, these are all "spare" equipment and I would inspect and maintain them myself. If the hoses are old no biggee, I just won't use them. I suspect they're fine, but inspections are easy.

I appreciate the advice, but this type of post is exactly why I posted in the DIY section rather than in other subforums. My intent is to learn more about regs using these rather than my primary set, so I can competently maintain my own gear. I don't want it to be a waste of money though and I'd like to be able to get parts for the maintenance/repairs, which it seems is at least feasible.

You can exchange the Dacor for a Mares at a discounted price. Just find a shop that is willing to work with you.

You can exchange the Dacor for a Mares at a discounted price. Just find a shop that is willing to work with you.
If that is anything like Zeagle's program there are much more cost effective ways to get a nice reg set.

Fjpatrum, actually that is exactly why I posted about HOG. You can easily buy parts kits for less than any other brand. You can also get a second stage for $99, and the parts kits for around $12. How much are the parts kits for the regs you are looking at? Run the math out and you can then make an educated decision.

I personally wouldn't use rubber from 1977 on my kit no matter what. Then again you probably couldn't find a 7' hose back in 1977.

If you plan to rebuild your own regs do you have the skills and tools to do so? A mentor might be in order, along with the Air Speed Press book.

If you don't want my advice I can refrain from offering it in the future.

If that is anything like Zeagle's program there are much more cost effective ways to get a nice reg set.

Fjpatrum, actually that is exactly why I posted about HOG. You can easily buy parts kits for less than any other brand. You can also get a second stage for $99, and the parts kits for around $12. How much are the parts kits for the regs you are looking at? Run the math out and you can then make an educated decision.

I personally wouldn't use rubber from 1977 on my kit no matter what. Then again you probably couldn't find a 7' hose back in 1977.

If you plan to rebuild your own regs do you have the skills and tools to do so? A mentor might be in order, along with the Air Speed Press book.

If you don't want my advice I can refrain from offering it in the future.

Peter, make no mistake, I appreciate the advice. I didn't read it as "these are better options for maintaining your own" though. I read it more as "that's so stupid, just go buy new HOG gear." I can see from your second post that I misread your intent.

I recently got a copy of Regulator Savvy, which I assume is the "Air Speed Press" book to which you referred. I'm hesitant to start taking apart my scubapro reg, just yet though, as it's my primary reg and I currently have no spares. I was thinking of this as a way to get some cheap "backups" that I could use for going through the book with a reg open on the bench. I have most or all of the tools necessary to disassemble and reassemble the regs, but I will probably need to get some "calibration" tools for verifying IP and the like.

Back
Top Bottom