Question about swimming ability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

The PADI swim test is 200m unaided (no wetsuit as this counts as additional bouyancy) any style you want as long as you dont stop. I side-crawled all but the last 30m, which i front crawled. A month before that i couldnt do 50m non-stop in the pool and all i done was 2 x 1 hour sessions a week just getting comfortable in the water.

The float is for 10 minutes, although it doesnt have to be treading water...just try and relax, lie back and float. I was dreading that part but it turned out easier than the swim.

And if you can, do it in the sea- the salt really makes a difference compared with the pool

Above all- relax, have fun.

Good luck!

The PADI swim test is probably the easiest one of the various agencies. I'm not a good swimmer, but I am in pretty good shape for 59, so I just did the whole thing on my back. As for the treading water, I spent more time floating than treading. I would really like to do the DIR-F course, but at this point, their swimming requirement is more than I can handle. I'll just keep plugging away at the local Red Cross Adult Swimming program until I can do it.

Actual surface swimming skills really have little direct use in scuba diving. Other than good kicking skills scuba is all about mastering neutral buoyancy and relaxing.

Regarding the class requirements they vary by agency. The goal is to demonstrate a reasonable fitness level and a sense of watermanship. Surface swimming or a skin-diving run may be acceptable, again it's agency dependent. If a person is not comfortable in and on the water then that should be adressed before going forward with the class.

Some of the most challenging moments in diving occur on the surface as we transition to the underwater world and since conditions can vary comfort there is important. Time spent skindiving local waters is a great way to get conditioned to dive and become at home on the water.

Pete

I was just certified by padi and I had to a choice to swim 2 olympic length laps freestyle or 3 laps with snorkel and fins. I chose the snorkel and fins. After that I had to tread water for 10 minutes. Now that is difficult for sinkers. I was able to take deep breaths and inflate my lungs and float like a ball.

Just don't swim too hard. Go nice and slow, as there is no time limit. I just float on my back and kick. Takes twenty minutes but that's fine.

You may not need a lot of swimming skills while diving, but I've noticed that people who are better swimmers tend to be more comfortable divers. And more comfortable means safer, since it is panic that hurts you if there is a problem while diving.

So I'd encourage you to get to a pool and do some swims before your class starts.

I jumped in and did my swim test literally after 5+ years without swimming.

Tried freestyle but was getting too tired so I switched to backstroke... after that and the immediate 10 minute water tread I was tired but passed.

Guess the point is... you don't have to be swimming daily for a year to prepare for the swim test.

lowwall:
You may not need a lot of swimming skills while diving, but I've noticed that people who are better swimmers tend to be more comfortable divers. And more comfortable means safer, since it is panic that hurts you if there is a problem while diving.

So I'd encourage you to get to a pool and do some swims before your class starts.

As an Instructor, I use the "swim test" to evaluate several aspects of the candidate:

> overall comfortability in the water

> fitness / endurance level

> ability / willingness to follow direction

Despite one's best intentions, there may be times when situations arise that will test your physical capacity, thus a good diver remains physically fit to be prepared for situations requiring strength, speed &/or stamina.

Regular swimming develops "water-sense" - a combination of comfort, confidence & the ability to adjust breathing patterns to prevent water inspiration; it also makes one familiar with the sensation of accidentally inspiring small amounts of water ( creating those annoying fits of coughing ), thereby helping to "train" oneself to deal with this problem with control & confidence.

Regards,
DSD

Finished NAUI OW a few weeks ago. I too was nervous about the swimming requirements to pass the test. I considered myself an average swimmer but haven't had to swim 225 meters (Naui requirement) in a very long time. Anyways, I hit the pool at the gym for a couple of weeks before I took the class until I felt comfortable and not exhausted at the end of 225 meters. When I took the class I think it was more like what DeepSeaDan is saying about the instructors are more interested in your ability and comfort level in the water, at least that is how my class went. We also had to tread or float for 10 minutes and swim under water about 20 meters I past quite easily along with everyone else in my class. But, it is nice knowing that you are physicaly fit enough to be able to do something like that if the need ever arises.

John

np251:
The PADI swim test is 200m unaided (no wetsuit as this counts as additional bouyancy) any style you want as long as you dont stop.

And you can get a PADI card even if you can't swim a single stroke, as they'll let you substitute a 300 yd snorkel for the 200 yd swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom