Question about swimming ability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the YMCA OW course we start it with a 200yds "swim" - any stroke, no time limit, for the reasons that DSD states, and as a practice for the 300yds swim (any stroke/float, no time limit) the following week to meet the certification requirements. Later in the course there's a requirement for a 400yd snorkel, including a couple of laps backwards and a few surface dives. Most people don't have a problem, but the practice swim first does help people.
The Y has a requirement for both "survival" floating and treading water - not more than 15 minutes each I think.

Also, our local Y, is kind enough to give Scuba students a pass to use the pool FOC during the class so they can practice swimming and stuff with mask/fins/snorkel.

Most of the students agree that they finish the course in a lot better shape than when they started.

My advice is to get to a pool a few times a week before the class to practice swimming. Even a little exercise will pay off in the classes. You will be a lot more comfortable in the water and you will enjoy the class more.

i think it would suck if i was put in a position to be rescued by someone who couldnt swim.. but yet we are diving together..

Kinda like a blind person passing a driving test..

speedhound:
For the YMCA OW course we start it with a 200yds "swim" - any stroke, no time limit, for the reasons that DSD states, and as a practice for the 300yds swim (any stroke/float, no time limit) the following week to meet the certification requirements.

YMCa has an unusual requirement. There are both entrance and exit requirements. I can't teach you the in water portion of the class if you can't swim 200 yds. You have to be able to swim 300 before I can certify you. I simply give the exit test at the start, so you only have to swim once, not twice. I spend the extra time on practicing SCUBA skills.

bolantej:
Just don't swim too hard. Go nice and slow, as there is no time limit. I just float on my back and kick. Takes twenty minutes but that's fine.

Technically you are correct on the time limit but with the wise guys I that trained me, the last 20-30 yards was spent having to listen to them tell me that I was getting beat by 3 girls. They only shut up when I pointed out to them that they told me never to hold my breath and that I should always go slooooow and relax. I was just demonstrating what I had learned!

Hello everybody, I'm sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I couldn't help it reading this thread. I about to try to becoming a diver in August and I just started swimming again after about 5 years. I "could" probably swim the lap fine wearing the mask/snorkel, but my treading water really sucks. Also I have never mastered the hand stroke or leg movement. For the treading water is it just floating backwards or forwards? I currently have until July 31 until the class starts. Would this be a big problem? Any suggestion other then getting scared or go straight into panic mode?

Coming from the point of view of new OW diver and having had a buddy during OW who's a very weak swimmer, my personal opinion about the need for the swim test is to evaluate person's level of comfort in the water. Though not a fool proof way, but if you're a strong swimmer, you won't be saddled with the usual fears that a novice swimmer will have, like depth of the water, etc. The buddy in question was very uncomfortable about bobbing, not the motion of being tosses around, but the feeling of going under. At the end of one of the dives, our DI had to whistle for the boat to come pick us up, and cos the current was strong and the water was very choppy, he wanted us to lock arms and stay in a group. This chap who wasn't a very confident swimmer, literally grabbed hold of my arm and pulled me under in desperation! I had to utilise what I learnt from lifesaving and kicked him away and tell him to calm down. Although he had his BC full of air and so he was in no danger of sinking, he was panicking cos of the water going over him.

Diving is the best goddam hobby (albeit a darned expensive one, and I thought gold was!) there is, and the thing about a hobby is, it should be enjoyable. So if you're uncomfortable being in water, then you're gonna be gripped by fear and possibly get into an accident, and in diving, there's always one waiting to happen. So if being a confident swimmer is gonna help, then it'd be prudent to wait a while more and put in the laps.

Am not here to judge, but just to share my personal experience. :D

Thanks Alan, I don't fear the water, the only thing I fear not being able to pass the test or considered not met the requirements. :( Anyways, I'm going to get to the pool tomorrow and try again.

Nemo: No worries for the help at all, since I just got my C-card, I'm able to relate to your worries. Dun worry about the test, I was told that the purpose is to gauge your level of comfort in the water, and yes, putting in those extra laps would definitely help. Just enjoy the swim during the test, and dun worry about the outcome! :)

Im recently certified PADI and had to do the 200 metre swim, instuctors were strict that you couldnt touch the sides of the pool or use them to kick off at the end of each length to turn around, and if you did, you had to do extra lengths. As far as I know there wasnt a time limit or any requirement for swimming stroke, just that you could complete the distance without stopping. The 10 minute tread water was easy, even thought I hadnt really done it before for any length of time, I found lying on my back with arms strectched out helped, just floating. One guy who did the course with me was not a good swimmer, but he got through in the end. I would say so long as you are comfortable in the water at depth and not daunted by a possible long surface swim you would be ok. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom