question about stroke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
And you need to repeatedly blast that attitude all over scubaboard, whenever a report comes in worldwide of anyone ever being called a 'stroke' you're there to swoop in and defend all that is right and just. What would we ever do without you?

Please provide other examples to your charge that I swoop in whenever someone is called a stroke to defend them. I must have hit a nerve.

kalidor's8:
A friend of mine was talking to some ppl today and they were checking out his gear. They called him a stroke and neither of us knew what that meant and I am thinking it is bad since it was said with a smirk. Can anyone tell me so I will know if we should be upset or just blow them off?

It's just their way of saying they're better divers than you and puffing themselves up in the process.

Since they probably didn't offer any constructive suggestions, just view it as as elitism and lack of civility. Fortunately, one doesn't encounter as much of that in real life as one does on the internet. :wink:

Don't fall for the implication that there is one "right" way to dive.

Dave C

dave4868:
It's just their way of saying they're better divers than you and puffing themselves up in the process.

Since they probably didn't offer any constructive suggestions, just view it as as elitism and lack of civility. Fortunately, one doesn't encounter as much of that in real life as one does on the internet. :wink:

Don't fall for the implication that there is one "right" way to dive.

Dave C

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The point of the OPs question was that he and his friend were called strokes by unknown divers. The answer is that they were in fact being derogatory. The rest of the story is you need to ask yourself are they right? My thoughts are they were being jerks and not trying to be helpful and simply trying to assert their superiority over you and your buddy by insulting you and your gear. For all we know the divers handing out the insults were themselves strokes. Stroke IS a DIR term. It entered the SCUBA vernacular from the DIR community referring to divers other than DIR. If the shoe fits then wear it.

The assumption of many of those who call other divers strokes is that they and their gear are substandard. This is due to their ignorance as much as their bias. I don't think strangers should insult other strangers, if you see something truly unsafe it would be the right thing to do to offer a helpful and tactful suggestion, otherwise, here in Dixie at leat, you might get hold of more than you want. Don't call Bubba Joe a stroke unless your able to back it up. Me, I prefer nonviolent means, I just laugh in their face and swim off.

Don't let the bad people ruin your day, luagh and ignore them.

As to PadI and techie instructors wearing both badges, I understand such is the case and I met one. He calls people strokes when in black and when earning a paycheck he teaches people to be the divers he calls strokes. Go figure.

Every sport has such terms, in the ancient days of the Motozoic, motocross racers referred to out of control beginners as a squid. Squid was short for squirrlly kid--SQUID. It really was bad when the squid dusted the pros. Unfortunately, in the sport of scuba diving there is no finish line other than emerging from the water still alive and intact. Me and Captain seem able to do that repeatdly, stroke or not.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom