question about stroke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always considered the person that was talking about all their dives, experience, c-cards, skills, etc. and then gets is the water and dives almost vertical, silts the whole place up, has no buoyancy control, etc a stroke. I didn't think it refered specifically to DIR. George Irvine's definition doesn't specify DIR either. Maybe it depends upon the context.

Unsafe diver or unsafe attitude I consider a stroke.

kalidor's8:
Thank you all so much for the help! No it would not matter so much if they did call us something else, I have just never heard the term before and since it was diving related I figured I would ask.
We both use the same set up more or less for our gear and make more than sure we do predive checks on everything. All of our diving is planned before hand and we do good gas managment.
I think these guys were just tooting thier own horns or something. The thing that pisses me off are those that just want to push thier views on everyone else and I was sure that was what these guys were trying to do without telling us anything about what we should change.
I do try to listen to other divers and get any feedback I can from them to try and make myself a better diver, and learn all I can. I love this sport and will stay with it as long as I can :p

Probably right on here. In many cases I see it turns out the ones calling "stroke" are the actual strokes themselves. They probably just learned a new word and felt if they threw it around then they were better divers.

I think the only reason DIR was even brought up in this is that the term "stroke" was origionally used by them (at least from what I have seen).

What happened to the good old day when we just called unsafe divers exactly that- unsafe divers? I used to say, "that guy is going to kill himself" or "that guy is an accident waiting to happen." Is stroke the politically correct term to avoid using words like die and death, kinda like "delayed success" instead of failure? Or is there more meaning to using this term? :D

kalidor's8:
lol I am the same way, maybe I am just getting old and missing new slang
innit tho....

I prefer Darwin Award Candidate.:)

I wonder... what would be said to someone in a config they'd never seen before.. say.. a side mount as those are ever so popular and known by many people?!

Hmm.. what if your not quite strokable.. what if its more.. I duno, just a bout of high blood pressurable... or haunted house BOO scarey or old lady in the parking lot not using mirrors and can't see the hood scare??

great shirt by the way. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom