question about spearfishing seattle area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiberiu:
If the law alow it to spear fish I dont understand why people get mad. Is like saying don't go deer hunting in the forest because I will go camping and there will be no more deer to see.
There's a difference. The fish you're going to spear for (lings, cabezon, rockfish) are territorial ... they move into an area and live there their entire lives. Take them out, and you've removed them from the area ... pretty much permanently. Deer, on the other hand, move around. Take them out and as long as the area will support decent grazing, other deer will move in. Also, many of these fish live for decades ... some longer than humans. Remove them, and it's unlikely you'll see another of its species take its place for years ... if in your lifetime. Deer, on the other hand, mature rather quickly.

But to extend your analogy, what do you suppose the reaction would be if you pulled out a rifle in a state campground and started shooting? I suspect the people who were using the campground probably wouldn't like it very much.

Hunters need to be responsible ... and a part of being responsible is choosing appropriate places to hunt. Choosing a hunting site that's close to a lot of other people probably isn't a very responsible thing to do ... even if it's legal to do so.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
But to extend your analogy, what do you suppose the reaction would be if you pulled out a rifle in a state campground and started shooting? I suspect the people who were using the campground probably wouldn't like it very much.

Not to prolong this argument, but I think this analogy is too far extended.

A stray bullet (while hunting deer or elk) is entirely possible.

Most spearos use a shock chord or some sort of reel, and don't "free shaft", thus eliminating the potential for a "stray". The spear can only travel a finite distance from the gun.

gcbryan:
I saw someone coming out of the water at Day Island Wall with a couple of rockfish in a bag once. There's not much you can do about it if it's legal at the particular site but it won't make you any friends. At Alki there are so many divers around that it wouldn't take long for someone to get the hint to leave. Maybe their gear would suddenly start to get taken from their truck, etc.

Most spearfishers seem to go to the Neah Bay area and to do it from a boat.

Man I hope you don't start scuba diving at one of my favorite freedive spearfishing spots.. You know scaring all the fish away and stuff. You might not like what your truck looks like when you get back out. How does that "hint" sound?

Bob I suspect that the people getting their undies in a wad over the don't-hunt-at-alki comments don't realize what it's like there. People, this is a small dive site that sees at least 50 divers on a Saturday. It's a very small area, and it's also a public park. An actual have a pic-nic, walk your dog, play Frisbee park. Are there a lot of people around? Are you kidding, it's like Times Square. It's not remote, it's not isolated, and not secluded. It's just extremely poor form to hunt in town, in a park, in a crowd, especially when the crowd came to see the fish you just shot. It's a matter of courtesy.

Just so everyone is clear: I love to eat fish. If God didn't want me to eat them he wouldn't have made them out of meat. I don't spear, but don't have a problem with it either. Alki is definitely the wrong place to do it though.

-Ben

howarde:
The spear can only travel a finite distance from the gun.

A distance which is several feet farther than the typical visibility at Alki. :wink: Do you really know what's behind your target when you can only see 7 feet? The water at Alki literally boils with divers.

-Ben M.

As I've said many times, I don't understand how anyone can go spear Nemo after having been in his bathroom, bedroom and living room!

I have a deal with the little fiddies, crabbies, et al -- they don't eat me and I won't eat them.

BTW, if you want some BIG lings, there is always the Edmonds Underwater Park!!!

Peter Guy:
As I've said many times, I don't understand how anyone can go spear Nemo after having been in his bathroom, bedroom and living room!

I have a deal with the little fiddies, crabbies, et al -- they don't eat me and I won't eat them.

BTW, if you want some BIG lings, there is always the Edmonds Underwater Park!!!

Let me know when you going ...:rofl3:

airsix:
A distance which is several feet farther than the typical visibility at Alki. :wink: Do you really know what's behind your target when you can only see 7 feet? The water at Alki literally boils with divers.

-Ben M.
If it's that the case, then it's understandable. It's not polite to spear when it's super busy, or with 7 feet of viz (and lots of people around)

My wife (the spearo) and I usually dive nowhere near anyone else, and most commonly have 50 -80 feet of viz.

howarde:
My wife (the spearo) and I usually dive nowhere near anyone else, and most commonly have 50 -80 feet of viz.

That sounds awesome.
-Ben

In rainy Seattle we don't have 50 feet of vis in the parking lot, much less underwater. :)
Peter Guy:
I made that deal with the fish too. The crab told me to shove it though, so it's game on.

BTW. does anyone know where can I find info on scuba crabbing in our area? I really want to try it, but I can't find the regs online. (Nor do I know where to go for a catch that is safe to eat.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom