question about spearfishing seattle area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiberiu

Reaction score
Hello. I have a quick question about spear fishing in seattle area. I know in May the season for lingcod will open . What are the best places to go ? Is spearfishing legal at Alki ? Please let me know. thank you

Best thing to do is check the regs with WDFW.

But, I can say that it is considered poor form to spear fish at dive sites. I for one wouldn't appreciate Alki getting cleaned out by some spear fisherman. So, please be considerate of those of us that dive there regularly and enjoy the critters.

Good luck with things.

-Doug

How is the spearfishing in the Seattle area? I pretty interested.

dsteding:
Best thing to do is check the regs with WDFW.

But, I can say that it is considered poor form to spear fish at dive sites. I for one wouldn't appreciate Alki getting cleaned out by some spear fisherman. So, please be considerate of those of us that dive there regularly and enjoy the critters.

Good luck with things.

-Doug
Thanks Doug for info. I am not doing the fishing my boss from work is. He is the one experienced in spearfishing. That's why I ask about dive sites because I never seen anyone spearfishing at alki .

message rescinded. Sorry.

tiberiu:
That's why I ask about dive sites because I never seen anyone spearfishing at alki .

Yeah, I don't know if it is legal or not, but I do know that it is likely to cause a riot. People are still talking about the guy that used these boards to find octos and then he went out and harvested them from dive sites. A big no-no, I think he died (karma caught up with him).

I can just imagine someone coming out of the water with a big ole' ling on a spear at Alki, I sure wouldn't want to be that person.

I saw someone coming out of the water at Day Island Wall with a couple of rockfish in a bag once. There's not much you can do about it if it's legal at the particular site but it won't make you any friends. At Alki there are so many divers around that it wouldn't take long for someone to get the hint to leave. Maybe their gear would suddenly start to get taken from their truck, etc.

Most spearfishers seem to go to the Neah Bay area and to do it from a boat.

So if it isn't illegal and the person is responsibly taking game... what is the problem?

fishb0y:
So if it isn't illegal and the person is responsibly taking game... what is the problem?

Let's put it this way, in Hawaii there are many fish and few invertebrates. Here it's the other way around. If someone goes to a dive site (limited shore dives) and takes the few fish/octo's/wolf eels away there is nothing for all the other divers to look at. Also, shooting our few but larger animals is not unlike someone shooting your dog. It doesn't go down well.

It's also a respect the local culture kind of thing. I hear that when non-locals try to surf at the local's only surfing sites in Hawaii expecially when they don't wait their turns that it doesn't go down well. It's similar here. People just don't spearfish here (in Seattle) for the most part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom