Question about PK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as for the viz in the lake 5' is pretty good for a average more or less, but its normally less then my arm in the areas i have been working. also once you get below that lare of junk in the water it clears out from what i have heard but at that point you need a light and a strong one at that point.

pretty much the smell of the gear and water from 50 ft is about normal as theres lots of dead stuff on the bottom of the lake from the blooms a couple of years ago. i know this because the past couple of summers pk has been a summer home for me when im work at the boy scout camp on johnsons bend. I normally end up diving like 4-6 days of the week when im out there and my gear i rinse it in fresh after everytime it goes in and even with that by the end of the week is a little ripe so i sink da stink everything once and maybe twice a week top keep it to a acceptable smell.

as for the phenomenon of lake turnover its as follows. cold water is more dense hence why it is on the bottom and it sinks as well as weather cools off it causes the top lare of water to cool off until a point were its no longer the least dense lare of water it sinks and cooler water replaces it.

skeet next time i make it out pk we should go do some diving as i bet there are a few good spots around the lake that would be better then the cove i spend most of my time during the summer

Tooth

All sounds good to me. The dive shop there has a boat for rent now to explore different dive spots. Contact me here when you head that way.

PK wouldn't happen to be Possum Kingdom, would it???

Hey Skeet.... you getting the white stuff??? Alan

Good Morning, yea its still coming down, we have maybe an inch on the ground. WISH WE WERE DIVING!

skeet:
Good Morning, yea its still coming down, we have maybe an inch on the ground. WISH WE WERE DIVING!

SNOW DIVING!!!! Just cold rain//sleet and a few wet snow flakes here in south Arlington.

wow thanks for all of the replies, take away the smell and get a little better vis in there and the diving would be awsome with all of the rock walls and such, so in a givin year I take it that it really does not clear up any time :-(

What is the max depth there? I think I hit in the 60's while I was there, and I didn't manage to get into any good vis.

I never notice a smell except during turnover or bloom time. This summer and fall the visibility was typicaly 8-10 ft, a few 15ft vis days and the rest was 4-5ft range. This has been a way above average rainy year, which has kept the vis below average. The lake has been low for two years and when it rises it washes all the bank debrey ,that built up, down stream. In one 48 hour period I saw the lake rise 7 feet, now that messed up vis for 6 weeks it seems. Even during these bad times you can still find better vis closer to the damn area. When the lake is full,like now, depths near the dive shop are 70-80 ft, towards the damn you can find 80-110ft depths.Back before 9/11 you could get closer to the damn where I heard it can get 150+ft deep, now the bouy line is farther away from the damn and is heavely gaurded 24/7 now. You need a boat to get to these clearer and deeper areas.

My last dives there were on 8/15/2004.
I had up to 15' visibility diving the island at Hell's Gate (opposite of the gate). My max depth was 55'.

My 2nd dive in one of the coves only had 6' - 8' vis down to 40'.

These were my only dives at PK this year, I didn't notice any sulpher smell like Whitney normally has.

Back
Top Bottom