Question about PADI tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokn'

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I was certified through PADI a few months back and have since realized that some of the topics covered weren't in-depth enough for my liking (not that I ever plan to stop learning, but ya know). I've been doing a whole lot of research and even venturing into the DIR section here. This led me to reexamine my thoughts about just wearing a computer and forgetting the tables. Anyway, on to my question:

I understand the tables in general, I passed all my tests just fine and can figure pressure groups, surface intervals, yadda yadda...and I understand that you're supposed to figure your pressure group based on maximum depth. But, say I was planning a multi-level reef dive that started deeper and went shallower. If I was at, say 20 meters for 20 minutes (PG=G), and then moved to 10 meters for 18 minutes, could I just move to PG=K? Or would it only be correct to call it PG=Q? Does the table assume that a surface interval of 0 still involves surfacing with a safety stop? I'm afraid I'm sounding convoluted, but basically I'm just asking if the PADI table can effectively be used to plan a multi-level dive or if it is maximum depth only. :confused:

PADI makes the eRDPML for planning multilevel dives. They used to make the infamous wheel but that was discontinued...

Depends on the table. Padi has several.
The plastic RDP, it is a square profile planner.
The Wheel RDP, multilevel planner. (discontinued, I loved my wheel...)
The ERDP, electronic square profile planner.
The ERDPml, electronic multilevel profile planner.

The E versions are just that, electronic versions of the tables & wheel, except it doees the math for the rnt and works out the andl for you. for the mathematically challenged.

I dive with a computer, but I know my NDL's for square profiles incase of computer failure, and I dive with a spg/depth gauge/watch as back up.

I didn't check your work but yeah you can do it that way. You table is waterproof right? I have an old Padi wheel for such too, but just use my computers.

tkdgodess, you want my wheel...?

to the best of my knowledge the tables are not setup for multilevel dives that being said there is an ERDP that can calculate those

Get a wheel on ebay.

OOPS.

Oh, sorry, I was talking about the basic RDP. I have NDL memorized with the RDP, but I'll check out the wheel.

So I looked at my online PADI eLearning tools and found the eRDPml. I put in the aforementioned problem and it came out the same (PG=K). I can't make a universal statement as I haven't tried a variety of problems, but I'm assuming that the eRDPml does the same thing I did. Apparently the RDP doesn't assume a safety stop and actual surfacing for a surface interval of 0.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom